Will I need a new dish or set up to get the Genie?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elephant98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
Greetings. It's been a while since I've posted here. But, I've always gotten good advice and info., so I thank you in advance for your remarks. I'd like to have a better handle on my options before I call customer retention and negotiate a deal.

I currently have 5 Directv receivers activated at my home -- three HD DVR's (HR20-700, HR21-700, HR24-100) and two HD boxes (H24-100, H24-100). All are on the whole home network. Because I have so many programs currently recorded on my existing HD DVR's and the cost factor of new equipment, I'm loathe to replace all of my existing receivers with the Genie and four of the C41 mini Genies. Also, I've read that the Genie will work just fine with my existing equipment on the whole home network, assuming I have the right setup. My question is what changes need to be made to my existing setup to make this work? (Please note that I am not a techie. So, I will do my best to explain.)

All I know is that I have a slimline dish. No idea what model.

photo 4.JPG

From there, I have what looks to be a 16 channel swm and two 8 way splitters.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Everything runs up in to the attic, where the Directv installer hooked in to my existing coaxial lines that run throughout the house. I guess I should add that I have broadband and telephone from Comcast using the coaxial lines too.

I have 8 tuners with my existing receivers. If I try to activate an additional receiver to my setup, I will get an error message saying that there are too many receivers on the coaxial network (or something to that effect). So, I'm assuming that because the Genie has 5 tuners all by itself that I simply cannot swap out an HD receiver with the Genie and expect it work. I'm guessing I need to change something. But, I don't know what. Any ideas?

A swm16 is all you need, but the number of tuners on each side can't exceed 8.

A swm16 is all you need, but the number of tuners on each side can't exceed 8.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought too. So, I wonder why I have had trouble activating an additional receiver with a single tuner? During the fall and spring, I tried activating an additional receiver, hooking it up to my big screen and turning on PIP so that I could watch two games at the same time. But, when I did that, I got the error message about "too many receivers on the coaxial network." The only way I could get my set up to work was to unplug a receiver in another room. Maybe it has something to do with the way the installer set things up? We'll see.

you could either swap out one (or more) of your existing receivers, or you could add the genie as an additional. Either way, you'd want to do it with an install, so a tech can rewire the existing setup to balance out the SWM16.
On a side note.. Bear in mind that you can only use 3 clients (mini-Genies) at one time, so ordering 4 might be a mistake. With the receivers you have, I'd look at swapping out one of the HD receivers for the Genie, and keeping your existing HD-DVR's. This will really maximize the number of shows you could record at one time.
Clients (or Mini-Genie's) are nice for new installs, but for upgrades it's better (IMHO) to go with actual receivers. That way if the Genie goes down, you don't lose 3 or 4 TV's until its replaced.

My only thought as to why you would get an error saying you had too many receivers on the coax network would be the way the splitters are set up. The 34 does have 5 tuners, so since you can only have 8 per leg of the swm16 it might overload 1 leg if they are not split properly. One thing I see missing is the power inserter on the swm16 ,all I see are the 4 lines in from the dish and 2 lines out to the splitters.
On a side note the HR34 does have PIP capability built in, so that will solve your issue of having to hook a second receiver up to your TV.

My only thought as to why you would get an error saying you had too many receivers on the coax network would be the way the splitters are set up. The 34 does have 5 tuners, so since you can only have 8 per leg of the swm16 it might overload 1 leg if they are not split properly. One thing I see missing is the power inserter on the swm16 ,all I see are the 4 lines in from the dish and 2 lines out to the splitters.
On a side note the HR34 does have PIP capability built in, so that will solve your issue of having to hook a second receiver up to your TV.

Power inserter is inside the house, plugged in next to the receiver. As for PIP, that is one of the reasons I'm now very interested in the genie. I'd much rather avoid paying the extra cost for an extra receiver six months of the year. Ironically, I happen to have a new Sony tv that has PIP/PAP and that is also one of the RVU-enabled tv's that works with genie. But, my understanding is that the PIP only works if you hook the genie directly up to the tv. No biggie.

Power inserter is inside the house, plugged in next to the receiver. As for PIP, that is one of the reasons I'm now very interested in the genie. I'd much rather avoid paying the extra cost for an extra receiver six months of the year. Ironically, I happen to have a new Sony tv that has PIP/PAP and that is also one of the RVU-enabled tv's that works with genie. But, my understanding is that the PIP only works if you hook the genie directly up to the tv. No biggie.

What model Sony did you get ?

Sony KDL-70R550A

Nice !

I wasn't aware that Sony had a RVU TV on the market yet.

Remember, IF your gonna use the RVU technology for D*, D* still charges you the recvr fee, even though you don't have one. (personally, I think this is hogwash).

How does the D* signal get to the TV with the RVU ?

Last edited:
Nice !

I wasn't aware that Sony had a RVU TV on the market yet.

Remember, IF your gonna use the RVU technology for D*, D* still charges you the recvr fee, even though you don't have one. (personally, I think this is hogwash).

How does the D* signal get to the TV with the RVU ?

I'm not really sure how the RVU technology works. But, it is supposed to be as easy as wirelessly connecting the tv to the router for internet services.

Shouldn't the OP NOT get four clients as only 3 streams can be used at once? Instead, get 1 HR34/44 and then maybe a client or two (or the RVU mentioned above) and HRXX on the other TVs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)