Will I receive OTA locals in HD?

Zurion

Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Quick question...

I went on Antennaweb and looked up my address and it looks like I am 20.7 miles away from the antenna feeds for my local channels, UHF and VHF. I have a 2 story house and no real tall trees or tall buildings nearby, although each house next to me is 2 stories as well.

I really want to switch from cable and get dish network, as they seem to have more HD, which is what I am more concerned, with, however I currently get my local HD channels through cable so if I switch, I want to make pretty darn sure that I wont have a problem receiving these channels OTA.

Do you guys think I'll have a problem and also will Dish provide me a decent OTA antenna that should work or am I going to need to purchase my own and possibly have the dish network installer, install for me?

I don't think the distance will be an issue. The problem for you will be finding someone to install your OTA antenna. Dish will only work with...*ahem*....dishes. With that said, a local retailer may double-up as an antenna installer

As webbydude said some indepentant local sat installers will also instal OTA antennas. I have 2 - 942s and they work fine with OTA digital/HD channels. But note the 942 will not process analog channels at this time.

I live in a relatively unobstructed area but installed a Radio Shack VU-90XR antenna with a rotor that has a wireless remote. The rotor came from Lowe's. I get six local HD signals, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS and UPN. The local HD signals are actuallly more reliable that the DISH sat HD plus the local CBS channel has their digital weather RADAR available 24/7. I only have two different bearings set for pointing the antenna since the local stations have grouped their antennas to two geographic locations. I have been quite happy with the DISH 921 OTA tuner.

R-U-Q-R-U said:
You might try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna first. They cost about $20 and often do a good job. YMMV.:bounce

Ok I'm a little confused with the acronymn YMMV I have always thought it was your mileage may vary. How does that fit here?

Zurion said:
Quick question...

I went on Antennaweb and looked up my address and it looks like I am 20.7 miles away from the antenna feeds for my local channels, UHF and VHF.

Do you guys think I'll have a problem and also will Dish provide me a decent OTA antenna that should work or am I going to need to purchase my own and possibly have the dish network installer, install for me?
Dish will not supply an antenna. I would recommend an outdoor antenna be installed on your roof. This will be at your cost. You should purchase a satellite receiver that get HD (examples 811, 921 or 942).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts