Will installer provide this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
A non penetrating roof mount if I live in a condo and I can only install on a balcony? Is this something I can request on the work order or is it something I must provide? If they have them, how much do they cost and do they include cinder blocks? I'm in S. FL if that makes a difference. Will the installer have flat coax to go under a door/thru a window or do I need to request that?

They may provide it, but you will pay for it, including the block. I would get in touch with the installation company and ask them.

How do I figure out who the installer is for the area? I'm in South FL.

Have you tried calling Directv and asking them?

Non-penetrating mounts require advanced notice. As raoul5788 notes, it will be on your dime.

Flat cable is something that most installers probably carry. You'll want to keep some backups (RG6 equivalent) for when careless ones slam things shut.

How much does the mount cost? $75? I'm fine with paying for it as long as it is approved and problems covered by the install company/D*.
"Have you tried calling Directv and asking them?"
If I call D* CSR's do you really think they will know the answer? I think they will just "yes it is free" even when it is not.

I suggested that you call Directv to find out who is the installation company in your area, not how much something may cost you.

With a guess, I called the Mastec main line and asked if they had any installers in the area. They told me they were the exclusive provider for new residential installs in my county. They gave me the number of a local Mastec. I called and they told me they would come out and do a site survey and list out any custom items costs for me prior to scheduling an install. They said they could get out either today or tomorrow.
If they follow through then this will be great.

He came with slimline and meter in hand. Bad news. Dishes are only allowed on screened-in balcony's and the eves are cutting off the signal!!!!! He said that if I could remove the screen and mount it off the balcony it would work and that I could pole mount it on the ground.... problem is condo won't allow either.
Condo Rules:
1.) No dishes allowed on condo property
2.) Dishes are only allowed on interior part of patio
3.) No dishes allowed on any portion of exterior of unit

What could I do to get around this? The spot where my air conditioning unit is has a clear signal. Installer suggested that location saying that it may be considered exclusive use.

He came with slimline and meter in hand. Bad news. Dishes are only allowed on screened-in balcony's and the eves are cutting off the signal!!!!! He said that if I could remove the screen and mount it off the balcony it would work and that I could pole mount it on the ground.... problem is condo won't allow either.
Condo Rules:

What could I do to get around this? The spot where my air conditioning unit is has a clear signal. Installer suggested that location saying that it may be considered exclusive use.

You could try asking the management if that area is considered exclusive to your unit. Other than that you may be sol.

I did a little legal research and it looks the area where the central A/C unit sits is considered "limited exclusive use". How far the area extends beyond the physical size of the unit is unknown. Could I put it on top of or besides the unit? I have a feeling that I would have to fight the HOA board to get a dish there since that area is "limited" or grey!

Condo Rules:

Replace the steel screen with plastic screen. The signal will go through the plastic screen with little loss.

+ Take a look at the OTARD (Over The Air Reception Devices) law. You may be able to tell them to stuff it.
+ Bolt the mast to the AC chassis. It is an approved ground (I think),...OR ground the chassis to an approved ground like a water pipe ot the building bond if close. (This one is a streach but both items are gray...might not be noticed)

Joe

Last edited:
+ Take a look at the OTARD law. You may be able to tell them to stuff it.
OTARD probably isn't going to help if the property doesn't have LOS. It could get you past the screening requirement but it won't force them to let you mount it on communal property.

Replace the steel screen with plastic screen. The signal will go through the plastic screen with little loss.

+ Take a look at the OTARD (Over The Air Reception Devices) law. You may be able to tell them to stuff it.
+ Bolt the mast to the AC chassis. It is an approved ground (I think),...OR ground the chassis to an approved ground like a water pipe ot the building bond if close. (This one is a streach but both items are gray...might not be noticed)

Joe

Screen is already plastic. I checked that. I would gladly replace that if it was the problem, but it is not.

I looked at OTARD. The only grey area I can find is that of exclusive use area. It does not define limited exclusive use, which would refer to the AC unit.

Screen is already plastic. I checked that. I would gladly replace that if it was the problem, but it is not.

I looked at OTARD. The only grey area I can find is that of exclusive use area. It does not define limited exclusive use, which would refer to the AC unit.

Yeah,

As others have pointed out they may have you screwed. You could try arguing (in a nice way) that the dish is electronic machinery like the AC unit and should / could go in that area.

Pretty sure the blanket statement about "no dishes" could be fought.

Report progress,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)