Will L.A Spot beams work in Montreal, Canada?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
Hi,

I'll be back and forth between L.A and Montreal, Canada. I Wil be new to Directv and before I take the plunge, is there anyway to know if L.A locals will work from my location in Montreal?

I would hate setting this all up to find out I have no ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, those channels are the reason I want the Sub, I need to have those Network shows in HD.

IF you can please confirm, it would be very much appreciated.

As well, does it make sense to buy a Slimline 5 Dish? will 99,101,103,110,119 all work from my location in Montreal? my primary concern is HD content, I plan on getting on of those permiere packages with every possible HD channel.

Thank you!

Spots are exactly that; spots, for very specific regions; so the short answer is no.

Damn that makes me sad, I guess this won't work for me. Thanks for letting me know, no point in goign ahead if I can't get all the Network programming.

directv does offer hd dns out of la, must have service address in mountain or pacific time zne and be in a white area, where local channe;s arent available for you
directv offers la hd dns and la and ny sd dns

I won't be able to get a different service address, but I do currently get all my local networks now in L.A. I believe the channel names start with K, like KNBC. So for sure for sure those won't reach Montreal?

And if they won't come in, then shouldn't the Network Channels that are closest to Montreal come in instead? Whichever spot beam that is? probably NY or something.

la distant network service is available they offer cbs abc nbc and fox from la in hd
distant network service channels are conus not spot available to all of country(except maybe alaska and hawaii)

la distant network service is available they offer cbs abc nbc and fox from la in hd
distant network service channels are conus not spot available to all of country(except maybe alaska and hawaii)

Sorry I'm confused by the whole thing, thanks for helping me.

When you say LA distant Newtork service, is this an extra feature I have to subscribe to? will it reach me in Montreal?

you need to change service address only to pacific or mountain timezone and in an area where directv doesnt offer locals they will then offer you la hd or ny hd based on timezones western half gets la hd eatern gets ny hd. both citie are available to you in sd la and ny.

yes these channels should reach montreal, i can tell ya they definatly reach burlington vermont

so search directv site under local channels input address that directv doesnt have locals in
ie montana or maine are your friend
change service address with phone call then ask about dns and you shall get it
important to only change service address leave billing address as is
or search this site for "moving" threads related to directv

He could also just go to one of the DNS channels to see if he is currently receiving the programming. I don't remember the channel numbers but it would be worth a try to see if he is already setup with them.

Just take your LA subscribed receiver to Montreal and connect to the appropriate multisat dish. Since the four major networks are part of your subscription you'll get them as they are CONUS as mentioned before. Those are also DNS for people in the western half of the country unserved by DirecTV local service

But, don't tell anyone I said that. :)

Just take your LA subscribed receiver to Montreal and connect to the appropriate multisat dish. Since the four major networks are part of your subscription you'll get them as they are CONUS as mentioned before. Those are also DNS for people in the western half of the country unserved by DirecTV local service

But, don't tell anyone I said that. :)

So what you're saying is, anyone with an account based in either New York or Los Angeles in addition to getting "locals" will have the exact same content also shown in the 380's? It's the same signal/content as far as I know, I just wasn't sure if those channels would appear for customers based out of those cities. Could someone clarify this?

So what you're saying is, anyone with an account based in either New York or Los Angeles in addition to getting "locals" will have the exact same content also shown in the 380's? It's the same signal/content as far as I know, I just wasn't sure if those channels would appear for customers based out of those cities. Could someone clarify this?

The short answer is Yes.

If your receiver is in LA, and it has an LA service address and you take your receiver to Montreal, you'll get the LA channels that are in the 380's and 390's *if* you are receiving them now (as you should be). You will want to verify that you are receiving those channels. Several LA channels, however, are spot beamed so you won't get KCAL 9, KTLA & other independent stations. You'll get KNBC, KCBS, KTTV, and KABC but you'll need to tune to the 300's to get them - they will not appear in your guide as 2, 4, 7, etc. as they do in South. Cal.

Correct. I get the NYC locals on 2,4, 5,7, 9, 11, and 13 but also get them in the 390s (CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC only).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)