Will NBCHD (321) be kept on VOOM for O&O Tv stations after Olympics?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I think the answer will be a clear "No". But who would interested in keeping this channel for O&O Tv stations. Will it be a total waste of bandwith or will somebody out there benefit from it? I am in O&O TV station but I can get it OTA and don't care. But there are a lot of us in NYC that can't get it because NBC is transmitting at a low power. The other scenario will be if you could get waivers for these stations based on your location.

Disclaimer: I know nothing of what VOOM plans to do after the olympics with this channel. I am just trying to see if it benefits anyone to have this or not.

NBC Owned and Operated TV Stations

• WNBC: NBC4 New York
  • KNBC: NBC4 Los Angeles
  • WMAQ: NBC5 Chicago
  • WCAU: NBC10 Philadelphia
  • KNTV: NBC11 San Jose/San Francisco
  • KXAS: NBC5 Dallas/Fort Worth
  • WRC: NBC4 Washington
  • WTVJ: NBC6 Miami
  • KNSD: NBC7/39 San Diego
  • WVIT: NBC30 Hartford
  • WNCN: NBC17 Raleigh
  • WCMH: NBC4 Columbus
  • WVTM: NBC13 Birmingham
  • WJAR: NBC10 Providence

I get the NBC Digital feed via 4.1 KNBC Los Angeles. I have noticed that the local engineers don't have a clue about the HD transmission. They have chosen the wrong audio feeds several times so far and often forget to flip "the switch" to send the HD feed. Even though I have a 96 quality signal for the feed OTA, the feed from 321 Voom (97 quality signal) is consistently better with less macro blocking and a sharper focus. I do experience an occasional signal drop out with both OTA and 321, so I am blaming the NBC feed for this.

The continuation of the NBCHD feed after the Olympics are over would be nice for me only if they use the East-Coast feed, because then I could watch the network feed 3 hours earlier than the local feed allows. Otherwise I don't really need it, and if Voom could use the bandwidth somewhere else then I really don't need it.

I think if a local affiliate transmits their HD feed at less than 16 mbps we should be entitled to it. They are using this stupid O&O regulation and butchering the HD channels with SD subchannels and holding us hostage to HDlite. HD at 14Mbps OTA just doesnt cut it for sports.

vurbano said:
I think if a local affiliate transmits their HD feed at less than 16 mbps we should be entitled to it. They are using this stupid O&O regulation and butchering the HD channels with SD subchannels and holding us hostage to HDlite. HD at 14Mbps OTA just doesnt cut it for sports.

Here in Memphis I am watching the HD feed via OTA WMC-DT. no subchannels!!! :D

Awesome PQ.

Jerry

Voom channel 321 has better picture and better audio by far here in DFW. And our local NBC channel is NOT using the subcarrier!!

Pete In Plano said:
Voom channel 321 has better picture and better audio by far here in DFW. And our local NBC channel is NOT using the subcarrier!!

Same here in South Florida, during the opening ceremonies it wasn't even in DD5.1, but the audio is still lower and it suffers from more pixelation and softness then Voom's 321.

It's a waste of bandwidth for me. Is it a waste in general? That depends. How many are allowed to get 321 but can't get nbc in hd otherwise?

I live in South Jersey and cannot get the NBC feed via the off air antenna. This and PBS are the only OTA channels that I'm missing I would hope that Voom keeps this channel for regular NBC programming after the end of the Olympics.

I would welcome the NBC-HD feed. My local station is KTVE out of Monroe/El Dorado (45 miles away) and they do not even broadcast their DT signal powerful enough to receive outside of their parking lot due to "financial reasons". Even when they do I doubt they will transmit HD. So I am stuck with crappy SD cable for NBC and all other networks except ABC which I am pulling in quite nice now 75 miles away in Shreveport. The fact is though even if VOOM carried it my local station would not grant me a waiver. I think if your local station does not transmit a HD signal or transmit at adequate power then you should be entitled to network HD feeds over satellite, that is my opinion on the situation.

kaw

kawdog if that is your opinion, you should immediately contact your Congressional representatives who will have to vote in the next few weeks on extending the Satellite Home Viewer legislation.
One of the many proposals calls for allowing DBS companies to provide a network HD signal if the local station doesn't. The station lobbying group, the National Association of Broadcasters, is doing everything it can to get that particular measure defeated, so calls and letters can only help.

fredfa said:
kawdog if that is your opinion, you should immediately contact your Congressional representatives who will have to vote in the next few weeks on extending the Satellite Home Viewer legislation.
One of the many proposals calls for allowing DBS companies to provide a network HD signal if the local station doesn't. The station lobbying group, the National Association of Broadcasters, is doing everything it can to get that particular measure defeated, so calls and letters can only help.

Thanks for the heads up, I will do that.

kaw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)