Will new DirecTV DVR's have ethernet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shramj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I was reading that a new generation of DVR's will be available this year, do you think they will have Ethernet on them so you can tie it into your home network? I read the CNET review of the DirecTV DVR and they were saying that was one thing that should have been included with the ones they currently offer.

They've got USB ports.
Rumor has it they might be enabled at some point, but when they come out, they will be, like the current TiVos, "for future use."

I think I will just get the HD receiver for now, maybe on August 1st they will have some new unit out but until then, I think I will keep my cost low and just get the HD box, I could always move that to another room, If I spend $699 for the HD DVR and then later on one come out with Ethernet, etc, I will be kicking myself but we will see if anything happens on August 1st like everyone is saying.

shramj said:
If I spend $699 for the HD DVR and then later on one come out with Ethernet, etc, I will be kicking myself but we will see if anything happens on August 1st like everyone is saying.

I can promise that even if something amazing happens August 1st, it won't be Ethernet support.

you can use your broadband connection on a Tivo, only after the initial guided setup is completed through your phone line. This is used via a USB to RJ-45 cable. The following link should help you in this matter. But being that you only really need the phone line for initial setup, then i wouldn't even mess with keeping a phone line connected......matter of personal opinion i suppose

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1164.htm

dragontat002 said:
you can use your broadband connection on a Tivo, only after the initial guided setup is completed through your phone line. This is used via a USB to RJ-45 cable. The following link should help you in this matter. But being that you only really need the phone line for initial setup, then i wouldn't even mess with keeping a phone line connected......matter of personal opinion i suppose

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1164.htm

for stand alones yes that will work... for D* NOPE

No, it wasn't altered at all......i pulled it straight off the pallet....hooked it up, threw my test card in it and let it run over night.....came in the next morning, did the ethernet set up and boom it shows to be working. Of course this is the only one i have tried it on and i could have the golden ticket from Tivo, ya never know lol

dragontat002 said:
No, it wasn't altered at all......i pulled it straight off the pallet....hooked it up, threw my test card in it and let it run over night.....came in the next morning, did the ethernet set up and boom it shows to be working. Of course this is the only one i have tried it on and i could have the golden ticket from Tivo, ya never know lol

mustave been... I (Last night) tried hooking my usb ethernet connector into my r10 and into my switch and while it got the IP it didnt let me do anything with the ethernet.... oh well..

Tonedeaf said:
Dragon,.

Let's see some screen caps.

Be happy to show some captures to you, but it's not going to show you anything different from what you would normally see with a phone line connected. Only difference is the dialing prefix, just like it would be in a stand alone unit.

Software 6.2 actually puts power (i.e. "activates") to the USB ports but they don't do anything beyond that in the standard software build.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts