Will new standard receiver work with old 18" round dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Crawfish

Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Louisiana
I've been going round and round with DirecTV. I upgraded my old receiver to a new standard receiver, DTV told me it would work with my old dish. The dish I have has two coax cables going from the dish to separate tv's. I'm now using only one tv. When I try and go through the setup on the new receiver, I get to the dish selection and if I click on the 18" round dish, it then defaults to multi-function switch.
I can get no signal, DTV told me to use the switch from the old receivers but I've never had a switch, just the cable doing direct from the dish to receiver. I asked DTV to send me a switch if I need one, and they say they have to send a tech to determine if I need that switch and which switch to use.
I don't need a tech to screw in the cable, can anyone here tell me if I need the switch?

I've been going round and round with DirecTV. I upgraded my old receiver to a new standard receiver, DTV told me it would work with my old dish. The dish I have has two coax cables going from the dish to separate tv's. I'm now using only one tv. When I try and go through the setup on the new receiver, I get to the dish selection and if I click on the 18" round dish, it then defaults to multi-function switch.
I can get no signal, DTV told me to use the switch from the old receivers but I've never had a switch, just the cable doing direct from the dish to receiver. I asked DTV to send me a switch if I need one, and they say they have to send a tech to determine if I need that switch and which switch to use.
I don't need a tech to screw in the cable, can anyone here tell me if I need the switch?

There is a multiswitch built into the dish, so the correct settings are 18in round and multiswitch.

D12 right? I've used one on a round dish with no problems, Used a HD H24 on one too (don't get the HD channels of course).

This afternoon I tried aiming the dish, no luck. I had brought the TV and receiver outside to monitor the signal strength, somehow I got into a diagnostic mode and it showed error 0x41,and something about no lnb power.
Do I need another lnb? My old coax I replaced was just a single wire, the new cable has an extra small wire that I didn't connect, could that be the problem?

thanks for helping

"small extra wire"??? Like a ground wire?

Was the dish aimed originally or are you trying to aim the dish too?
What model is the receiver?

"small extra wire"??? Like a ground wire?

Was the dish aimed originally or are you trying to aim the dish too?
What model is the receiver?

Could be a ground wire, I couldn't see anyplace to attach it to the lnb. Dish has been in the same place for years, I bought a new coax cable when I couldn't get a signal.

Check the elevation settings (not sure where you are so I can't tell you the numbers) and also make sure the mount is leveled. Do you have two DtV box or just one?

I have a single basic receiver. I have the numbers to align the dish, tried moving the dish at least ten degrees in every direction, no signal at all.

Actually that is not true, their are a number of old SD DirecTV boxes that will NOT work with a standard SWM Dish. Although if you get a an upgrade to SWM using a SW16 those switches have output ports for DirecTV STB's that do not support SWM.

Actually that is not true, their are a number of old SD DirecTV boxes that will NOT work with a standard SWM Dish. Although if you get a an upgrade to SWM using a SW16 those switches have output ports for DirecTV STB's that do not support SWM.

The OP said he has a standard receiver and an 18" dish, not a swm setup.

Check for voltage on the coax at the dish with a voltage meter. If there is voltage try the other port on the LNB or a different LNB. If there is no voltage connect a short pigtail coax to the receiver And check for voltage at the receiver. If voltage at the receiver replace coax line to dish. If no voltage at receiver do a FULL reset (Erase Everything) and check for voltage again after selecting multiswitch in the sat setup.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Check for voltage on the coax at the dish with a voltage meter. If there is voltage try the other port on the LNB or a different LNB. If there is no voltage connect a short pigtail coax to the receiver And check for voltage at the receiver. If voltage at the receiver replace coax line to dish. If no voltage at receiver do a FULL reset (Erase Everything) and check for voltage again after selecting multiswitch in the sat setup.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't have any way to check the voltage. I did speak with a friend last night who has a dish from when he used to have directv, he said he thought it was a slimline oval dish, will that work with my receiver?

A Slimline dish will work, but the lnb on the end of the arm may not be compatible. What model receiver are you using and what lnb is on the Slimline?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)