Will stations power up in 2009?

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I've been getting OTA HD for sometime now and I've noticed that similar to satellite the signal gets knocked out when bad weather approaches. This never happens with anaolog. Will the stations send out a stronger signal when 2009 comes around?

Lets hope they do. WBBM tv is Horrible.

+1

WBBM wich is currently at like 3.3 KW or somehting like that on DT3 is moving to DT12 in 2009 at 13.3 KW. I think we will see a powerboost on that too. With that said all issues with WBBM will be come Non existant! I cant wait... Just with they could flip the switch now!

I've been getting OTA HD for sometime now and I've noticed that similar to satellite the signal gets knocked out when bad weather approaches. This never happens with anaolog. Will the stations send out a stronger signal when 2009 comes around?

Some will move...some will stay as they are.

Here's the final assignments and their power.

Attachments

• FCC-DTVfinal channels.pdf
    295.7 KB · Views: 388
That report seenms to tell us what the final power level willb e but not what it is now and would not answer the question of whether it ill go up. Am I missing something?

Isn't WBBM part of the 3 stations from Chicago to Detroit that all transmit on the low vhf frequency of 3 or 2 for digital? And all 3 interfere with each other right now so that is why they're at low power outputs?

I know my local CBS (on DT2) is moving to channel 8 due to this problem.

Isn't WBBM part of the 3 stations from Chicago to Detroit that all transmit on the low vhf frequency of 3 or 2 for digital? And all 3 interfere with each other right now so that is why they're at low power outputs?

I know my local CBS (on DT2) is moving to channel 8 due to this problem.

Yes
WBBM will probably be moving to Dt11 in 2009.

I can get WBBM TV with my behemouth Winegard HD8200P. All other locals scream in at 100 on even at 65 miles out in Plano.

The problem in Plano is that an antenna aimed at WBBM digital is also pointed directly at WWMT analog. The two channel 3 signals interfere with each other. Channel 3 actually travels over the horizon better than UHF.

Another possibility is that there is line noise near your house. To track down line noise, try listening to an unused AM frequency on the low end of the dial. (540-590 kHz) Line noise shows up as a loud buzz. The buzz usually gets louder close to a bad power pole.

KJRH in Tulsa OKlahoma will move from DT56 to DT8 and reduce power from 1000KW to 18.2. This means I will loose that channel in 2009 as I am located more than 75 miles south. I am in Tulsa DMA and this is a shame. No HD anymore and I will rely completely on a satellite or cable provider to continue watching that channel AND having to pay for it, and other people get it for free. DTV transition is a farce!:mad:

KJRH in Tulsa OKlahoma will move from DT56 to DT8 and reduce power from 1000KW to 18.2. This means I will loose that channel in 2009 as I am located more than 75 miles south. I am in Tulsa DMA and this is a shame. No HD anymore and I will rely completely on a satellite or cable provider to continue watching that channel AND having to pay for it, and other people get it for free. DTV transition is a farce!:mad:

18.2 KW on channel 8 works about the same as 1000 KW on UHF. The only reason for you to loose KJRH in 2009 is if you have installed a UHF only antenna. The tvfool results list the projected strength of KJRH on channel 8 in McAlester, Oklahoma

Attachments

• McAlester.PNG
    McAlester.PNG
    65.9 KB · Views: 247
The only problem is lighting and electric noise plus old cars with bad spark plugs will screw up digital channels on VHF!

18.2 KW on channel 8 works about the same as 1000 KW on UHF. The only reason for you to loose KJRH in 2009 is if you have installed a UHF only antenna. The tvfool results list the projected strength of KJRH on channel 8 in McAlester, Oklahoma

According to this, compared to the current receiption scheme, I would have a better signal from KJRH providing I'd add a good VHF antenna to my 91XG and activate the VHF input on my CM7777.
What would be a good VHF only antenna for 75 miles from the towers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)