will TBS HD be stretch-o-vision ?

TBS - DT (the OTA digital signal in Atlanta) doesn't show Seinfeld in HD right now. Hopefully they change when the truely go HD.

ok...so it's not just me or the tv that i have...tnt really does do that stupid sh*t with their hd...that is so damn annoying that's why i can't watch hd on tnt anymore because of that

realplaya, you have that right. I'm not even sure what is in HD on TNT-HD anymore because I gave up on it when I saw that most things were just SD stretched and upconverted to 1080i. Then they had the gaul to put little "Presented in High Definition" before each stretched SD show.

The final straw came when I saw that episodes of Judging Amy were in stretchy vision when I had seen them just the year before on CBS in High Def.

If anyone has high hopes for TBS-HD, then prepare to be disappointed. TNT-HD has been on the air for 3 years now and they don't appear to be changing for the better. I could have forgiven this in the first year, but now it appears to be just the way that they want to operate.

I do not expect to see Seinfeld (or much else besides MLB) in HDTV on TBS-HD. I do expect to see Seinfeld in Stretchy-Vision on TBS-HD with a big "Present in High Definition and Dolby Digitial 5.1" logo at the beginning though.

The final straw came when I saw that episodes of Judging Amy were in stretchy vision when I had seen them just the year before on CBS in High Def.

TNT-HD occationally has good quality movies unstretched. But most of those unstretched movies I think are cut off on the sides so there are no black bars on the top/bottom. So picture is still being lost. Other things like X-Files I would prefer normal aspecth thank you.

But... the thing that turns me away from that channel more often than not is that after several months it still has audio sinc problems that no other HD channel seems to have. Sometimes there is no problem at all. Others, its horrible.

This could be scary for us wanting to watch TBS-HD for the MLB playoffs on Dish:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-hd-discussions/106344-directv-home-2007-mlb-postseason-hd.html

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 6, 2007--DIRECTV HD fans across the country will have the best seats in the house to every Major League Baseball (MLB) postseason game this fall. To date, DIRECTV is the only national multichannel video provider committed to carrying both FOX and TBS's exclusive postseason HD broadcasts. TBS in HD is scheduled to launch on DIRECTV in September and for the first time ever will feature exclusive broadcasts of the MLB Division Series and National League Championship Series.

I don't know whether the "exclusive" applies to the fact that the MLB is exclusive to TBS or that TBS-HD is exclusive to D*. I can't imagine MLB would allow DirecTV to be the only carrier of the baseball playoffs in HD that aren't on Fox. But given what the NFL has done with Sunday ticket, who knows.

I believe that those games are exclusive to TBS. It sisinfuriating tha one provider issues press releases that make it sound like they will have everything in HD and the other says almost nothing. It leads to people trying to figure out what is happening and frankly we have to guess.

What infuriates me about TNT besides stretch-o-vision is taking a 2 hour movie and showing in 3 hours and still cutting out 20 minutes. Watch out for "edited for time" and "formatted for your screen"!
-Ken

Personally I don't watch anythin on TBS now, but if they do have the MLB playoffs then i'm all for it. Not being able to watch the SOX in HD during the regular season(no NESN-HD) I will be very upset if I have to still watch the them in SD come October.:mad::mad:

I am guessing, that Dish will probably bring up TBS-HD right before the MLB Playoffs begin. What is the point of bringing it before? I am not worried about that report that TBS-HD has an exclusive deal with DirectTV. We read the same thing about History channel and directtv and Dish got the HD channel up first.

Someone getting TBS HD via cable has confirmed the old TNT "stretch" on the new channel.

I really don't watch TNT but have flipped through it and seen standard def stuff stretched as I read so much about. Obviously, this stuff is not HD, and just a simulcast of the SD channel.

Isn't it true that they have this HD channel as a simulcast of the standard def in order to have HD available for HD programs, such as live sports, and that their initial intention was not to air all HD programming?
Is everybody just mad that it is stretched SD or mad that it is not in HD?

I think TNT and TBS are standard def channels for the most part with it being a perk that some of the programming is in HD where available (people that also have the HD versions of the channels) and that it should not be expected that these channels in particular air all HD content.

If it is a simulcast of TBS or TNT of a standard def program, who cares if those programs are stretched? You don't like the stretch, just watch it on the standard def version with the black bars.

I don't recall them ever saying that TBS or TNT HD versions were going to be all HD programming.

There are other channels with newer, more original programming or premium channels where I would expect all HD content, but I never expected the garbage on TBS or TNT to be HD in the first place. I mean the old shows of course, not live sports.

Aren't the live sports 16x9 HD or is the actual HD content being stretched too? If they are there is no real reason for anybody to bitch. Sure stretching is stupid and I hate going to somebody else's house that stretches out the black bars to fill the screen in the first place on all channels that have black bars, but nobody has TNT HD that doesn't have SD TNT, so switch it over to the original channel during non-HD stuff. It isn't HD anyway.

(and yes I know the HD channels are much higher bitrate and if they didn't stretch the picture, and used black bars, the pq would be much better than the SD version. But this is another argument. They should be increasing the quality of the SD channels if the pq looks bad.)

The day they get rid of the old TNT and just have the HD, is the day we should bitch about the stretch and ask for black bars, but as long as they have both there is no reason to complain. You have a choice to turn on the version with the black bars.

The day they get rid of the old TNT and just have the HD, is the day we should bitch about the stretch and ask for black bars, but as long as they have both there is no reason to complain. You have a choice to turn on the version with the black bars.

Many of us with larger TV's don't particular care for the silly putty look of SD channels upconverted by the Dish receivers. This includes both my 57" DLP and my 32" LCD.

Many of us with larger TV's don't particular care for the silly putty look of SD channels upconverted by the Dish receivers. This includes both my 57" DLP and my 32" LCD.

I don't know. I have two HD sets (32" and 46"), and two standard sets (27" and 50"). both cable and Dish on all 4 TVs in my house, and the SD channels on Dish look as good or better than cable versions of the same channels, with the exception of the 50" that has analog cable and the SD channels look far worse with cable than the attached Dish. I never noticed the silly putty look. But even so, you should be bitching to Dish about the silly putty look of SD as opposed to bitching at TNT HD for stretching it.

I agree that I am not too concerned with E* not having TBSHD right now. What does concern me is why E* can't make a statement that it will be available by October 1 so we will know that we can see the Division Series in HD. Maybe I should just relax and wait, as Cubs fans say, "It's gonna happen." Wait, when is it supposed to happen in Chicago?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)