will the dish 622 dvr output 16:9 480i over s video?

480i is standard definition.

I haven't connected my 622 via s-video to see what shows up on my HDTV. I know it will be 480i, but I don't know if the aspect ratio of a 16:9 HD channel is preserved. It didn't used to be.

I believe you can change format on tv2 with the bottom left hand button on the remote (format button) but I will have to check tomorow if I have one to install. Basically, if it transmits over the coax in one size then it will transmit the same way with svideo. I know it's possible, I've done it before, but it's been a while

I have the same setup--S-video into my Panasonic combo DVD/VHS upconverter/recorder. It preserves the 16:9 aspect so when recording from an HD channel broadcasting in HD, it does the best at emulating the HD quality on a DVD. It plays back as upconverted.

It sure does. I have the s-video out of my 622 connected to my slingbox, and it preserves the aspect ratio. As long as I tell the Slingbox to interpret the signal as widescreen, it looks fine.

You have already established a "yes" answer to your 16:9 question. I will just add that I hooked up a Sharp Aquos EDTV to my 2nd TV coax output and have it in my kitchen. It is not widescreen, but I can switch back and forth between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect with the format button on the bottom left of the remote. I can get all the HD channels on this TV in either aspect and the PQ on this EDTV is outstanding. This may be the absolute perfect application for using an EDTV. I love my 622!

On TV1 the S-Video DOES output 16x9 OR Letterbox OR 4x3 with the sides cut off a 16x9 pix. I had my TV hooked up via S-Video for two weeks so I have seen it with my own eyes.

On TV2 the video output does NOT do 16x9 nor 4x3 anamorphic. This is amazing to me, but it does not. Your options on TV2 is cutting off the sides of the 16x9 picture to fit on a 4x3 or 4x3 letterbox. At that point most 16x9 TV can zoom the picture but you lose a ton of resolution over 4x3 anamorphic or true 16x9. Again this is from personal experience.

See ya
Tony

On TV1 the S-Video DOES output 16x9 OR Letterbox OR 4x3 with the sides cut off a 16x9 pix. I had my TV hooked up via S-Video for two weeks so I have seen it with my own eyes.

On TV2 the video output does NOT do 16x9 nor 4x3 anamorphic. This is amazing to me, but it does not. Your options on TV2 is cutting off the sides of the 16x9 picture to fit on a 4x3 or 4x3 letterbox. At that point most 16x9 TV can zoom the picture but you lose a ton of resolution over 4x3 anamorphic or true 16x9. Again this is from personal experience.

See ya
Tony

Exactly, and this is the jist of this question I believe. When I want to record a 16x9 program to the DVD recorder, I want playback to be 16x9 on my 16x9 TV. This means I have to record an anamorphic 4x3 image onto the disc. Only in single mode can I get the 622 to output an anamorphic 4x3 image of 16x9 content.

TV2 in dual mode restricts the image to letterboxed 4x3 or zoomed/cropped 4x3. The 622 needs an anamorphic output in dual mode option for TV2.

See ya
Tony

TV2 does 4:3 w/ bars on the top and bottom for the HD channels if you aren't sharing a picture.. I share so I can get my locals in other rooms.. though it looks funny on a 4:3 tv :)

I use TV1 S-video to record to my DVD recorder. The TV1 S-video output is 480i even if the HDMI / components are set to 1080i or 720p. When recording a HD channel the resulting anamorphic DVD often looks as good as the commercial DVD of the same movie. I have the 622 set to dual mode. I do not use the TV2 output for recording because it will not output anamorphic widescreen, only 4x3 or leterbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)