Will the Dish VIP722 work with Direct TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Masterse7en

Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I have the Dish VIP722 and was wondering if it would work with Direct TV?

Are they compatible?

If so, what do I need to do to make it work?

That is like saying your HD-DVD player and Blu-Ray player should work for each other because they are both disk.

Each company has hardware that only works with their own satellites, nobody elses will work with it.

So, There is nothing that I can do to make them work?

I just like the VIP722 and hate to part with it.

My wife doesn't like dish channels, so we are changing to Direct TV. (which I don't like the equipment).

How about other aftermarket DVR's

There is nothing wrong with the DirecTV DVRs - its 99.95% a learning curve difference. There are plenty of threads detailing for you.

They are specifically made for their own service, not anybody elses.

As far as other aftermarket DVRs, you can use them but you have to have a DirecTV box in order to make them work correctly.

Most likely you will just have to deal with the DirecTV hardware... although Dish's hardware is better, I think DirecTV's programming is significantly better (HD quality definitely is).

There is nothing wrong with the DirecTV DVRs - it2 99.95% a learning curve difference. There are plenty of threads detailing for you.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. DirecTV's HD-DVR still has a long way to go to compete with Dish's. I have an HR-21 that annoys me quite a bit with how sluggish it is. Changing channels, viewing the guide, etc., happen instantly with Dish. DirecTV takes 3-4 seconds to load the guide alone.

I agree, Direct TV's programming is best, but Dish's hardware is tops over direct.

Thanks everyone, Guess I am stuck with the crappy Direct DVR instead of my VIP722.

What is the best HD DVR from Direct TV?

I don't have those issues and when I tried Dish out their hardware was no more than 1% different and the vast DirecTV programming and sports makes it the clear win for me.

I don't have those issues and when I tried Dish out their hardware was no more than 1% different and the vast DirecTV programming and sports makes it the clear win for me.

I have no idea how you can't see it. I have 2 HD-DVRs (HR21s) and they are slow as can be compared to my 622. A buddy of mine also switched from Dish to D* and has the same issues and complaints. Dish's HD-DVRs were a cut above everyone else.

So, There is nothing that I can do to make them work?

I just like the VIP722 and hate to part with it.

My wife doesn't like dish channels, so we are changing to Direct TV. (which I don't like the equipment).

How about other aftermarket DVR's
Please explain how the dish channels are different from the directv channels? HBO on DISH and Directv show the same movies at the same time. CNN shows the same news on both providers at the same time. Lifetime is the same on both services the only differences is the packages. AT100 and Choice contain different services but you can get most of the same channels by carefully selecting your packages.

Please explain how the dish channels are different from the directv channels? HBO on DISH and Directv show the same movies at the same time. CNN shows the same news on both providers at the same time. Lifetime is the same on both services the only differences is the packages. AT100 and Choice contain different services but you can get most of the same channels by carefully selecting your packages.

It comes down to how they encrypt their programming when the send the signal to the receivers. The IRD stands for Integrated Receiver Decoder, and they both use different encryption alogrithims for their signals.

Soon satellite will be a matter or whose name is on it. Dish will soon catch up to DTV on HD. Personally I like Dish equipment better, but DTV has them on HD, Sports, and other small programming advantages.

I have no idea how you can't see it. I have 2 HD-DVRs (HR21s) and they are slow as can be compared to my 622. A buddy of mine also switched from Dish to D* and has the same issues and complaints. Dish's HD-DVRs were a cut above everyone else.

I agree. I have used HR20/21 and VIP622/722 extenstively and I can tell VIP622/722 are simply more responsive.

Here is the performance difference between HR and VIP DVRs.

VIP622/722:
Page up and down in the channel guide are fast.
30 second forward skip and 10 second backward skip are fast. I can easily skip over 3 minutes of commercials by clicking the skip button multiple times in rapid succession which can be done within 3 to 4 seconds.
The system menu, while a bit more complex, is fast and allows me to easily select a specific function by pressing number sequences once I remember the menu and sub-menu nubmers.

HR20/21:
Page up and down in the channel guide are slow even if I disabled the line scroll effect.
30 second foward slip and 6-8 second backward slip each has a 2-4 second delay. As the result, to skip over 3 minutes of commercials I need to spend about 15+ seconds pressing the skip button.
The system menu, while more logically grouped, is slow to navigate.

In short this is how I would describe the DVR peformances:
HR20/21 = AMD Athlon
VIP622/722 = Intel Core 2 Duo

Okay. That AMD/Intel comparison may be an exaggeration but I am sure that is how most VIP622/722 owners would feel when they migrate to HR20/21.

HR20/21:
Page up and down in the channel guide are slow even if I disabled the line scroll effect.
30 second foward slip and 6-8 second backward slip each has a 2-4 second delay. As the result, to skip over 3 minutes of commercials I need to spend about 15+ seconds pressing the skip button.

I've never even seen the Dish boxes, so can't compare by any means. But I just tested the above myself out of curiosity on one of my HR21s

Guide / Page up or down - It took 1 to 1 1/2 seconds for the guide to come up upon button press. When pressing channel down to change the page, it took less than one second for the updated page to completely appear.

When using the backward slip or forward skip, it took less then one second from the moment I pressed the button to the time the program was playing again. I did not change back to slip to see how long the delay is - but by using slip, wouldn't you expect it to take longer based simply on how that feature works (the fact that it is displaying the programming that is being forwarded over)?

Sometimes the guide does come up faster than 3-4 seconds, but I've never figured out why. The majority of the time it is 3-4 seconds however.

I have heard that the AM21 causes the guide to slow down, not sure if that is true or not. I do have the AM21 attached.

the vip 622 is much faster than the hr2x-xxx no doubt. only those that have had both can actually say this. or used both like mlb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts