Will this cause any issues?

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
For quite a while now I've had my Dish VIP 722 and even my 721 before that hooked up to my land line. I got a Magic Jack maybe a month or two ago. I'm really considering getting rid of my land line as between the Magic Jack and cell phones I just don't really need my regular land line. The only problem with Magic Jack is it doesn't have a local phone number for my town so I have a phone number from another town a few hours away. It was the closest they had.

Anyway, is it going to be a problem with my 722 dialing in with a number from another town? Will Dish think something is up here or is it fine? Should I call in and explain to them what's going on? Or is my only option to pay the fee for no phone line? Also do I need to change my phone number listed on my account with dish to the magic jack number asap or does it not matter if it's still my land line number until I get rid of the land line and have the receiver dialing in on the Magic Jack number?

Thanks.

I switched to a MJ several months ago. I have had no issue with it between Dish. THe only thing they care about is that it calls in, gives them the data they want. I don't think it ever mattered that the number on your account and the number they called in from were the same. As from the start my cell phone was the number dish had on file, and the home number was what the receivers called from.

Don't worry about majic jack number. I've had it for over a year and no problems with dish. You could change the number on your account to the cell. Many people have phones with out of state area codes, so it's a non-issue since the phone companies are required to let you keep your number and transfer it to a new line. MJ just can't do that 'yet'. Keep checking with them though, because I got a more local number after about 6 months.

You can even get caller ID on your satellite with MJ. The toughest part for me is keeping the dial tone active, because I'd rather turn off the computer and have the phone calls go to voice mail since I get my MJ voice mail/email on my cell phone.

Did you look into connecting an ethernet cable with and internet connection to your receiver? You don't have to have your computer on and it still will waive the 'phone line' connection fee. That's what I did after a while.

Don't worry about majic jack number. I've had it for over a year and no problems with dish. You could change the number on your account to the cell. Many people have phones with out of state area codes, so it's a non-issue since the phone companies are required to let you keep your number and transfer it to a new line. MJ just can't do that 'yet'. Keep checking with them though, because I got a more local number after about 6 months.

You can even get caller ID on your satellite with MJ. The toughest part for me is keeping the dial tone active, because I'd rather turn off the computer and have the phone calls go to voice mail since I get my MJ voice mail/email on my cell phone.

Did you look into connecting an ethernet cable with and internet connection to your receiver? You don't have to have your computer on and it still will waive the 'phone line' connection fee. That's what I did after a while.
Well, I've thought about connecting my receiver to the internet. However, since the modem and router are upstairs and the receiver is downstairs. Well, this one anyway. The 501 is upstairs. I don't have a easy way to get a ethernet cable to it. I've thought about getting one of gaming adapter type things that connect to the wireless network then have the ethernet port for you to connect it to a device like a gaming system or a receiver or something like that. However, I just hate to spend $40-50 on that just for my satellite receiver. As of right now I've just left the phone line connected.

BTW since some of you guys have Magic Jack I thought I'd ask. Do any of you run it through your whole houses wiring for the phone? If so how does it work having been split that many times? Or do you just connect a phone or two to the actual Magic Jack device? I'm wondering if there would be any downside a phone cord from the USB dongle to the phone jack that feeds the whole house. Would there be a downside to this?

It ought to work fine if the phone company lines are disconnected (if any). My wiring is all screwed up so I just ran one base station phone (cordless) and have two cordless phones on it.

I don't think the 501 even has an ethernet port on it - so that may not be an option for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts