Will this diplexer setup work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CygnusTM

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I have a 522 on the way to replace my 501. I currently have two cables running from the 501 back to the basement where all the wiring is congregated. One brings the satellite signal from the dish to the 501, and the other sends the RF output from the 501 back to the basement where I split it our and feed it to other TV's in the house. We can carry the RF remote to the other TVs and watch the 501 there.

I know the 522 needs two lines from the dish, but I'm hoping not to have to run another cable to where the 501 is now. What I want to know is if I can use diplexers to run the RF back on one of the existing lines? The signal will be going in opposite "directions". Does that matter? Am I making any sense?

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. RF energy is AC, after all - direction is irrelevant. It's certainly worth a try.

Brad

CygnusTM said:
I have a 522 on the way to replace my 501. I currently have two cables running from the 501 back to the basement where all the wiring is congregated. One brings the satellite signal from the dish to the 501, and the other sends the RF output from the 501 back to the basement where I split it our and feed it to other TV's in the house. We can carry the RF remote to the other TVs and watch the 501 there.

I know the 522 needs two lines from the dish, but I'm hoping not to have to run another cable to where the 501 is now. What I want to know is if I can use diplexers to run the RF back on one of the existing lines? The signal will be going in opposite "directions". Does that matter? Am I making any sense?

I do exactly the same thing with my 522. Works like a charm! Actually, I have 3 cables from basement to the room with the 522. All three carry the feeds from the Superdish. On one of the cables, I diplex the OTA up to the room with the 522. On another of the cables, I diplex the output from the 522 (and other equipment via a modulator sitting next to the 522) back down to the basement for distribution to the rest of the house. You should have no problems.

Yeah - diplexers will work. You can even send the RF output of both tuners back down the one cable - just 'reverse-split' it before the diplexer. This gives you 2 channels on each of the other house TVs.

Side note: the VHF RF output is mono audio, while the UHF is stereo.

Thanks. I'm going to run it in single mode, so I'm only worried about feeding the TV2 output. Now I just need to make a trip down to DishStore.net and get some diplexers. It's nice to be local. :)

In's and Out's of Diplexers

Hi, Richard Collins here

You will need two di-plexers I suggest using them on the #2 tuner feed considering the di-plexer has a 2db loss as well as additional db loss from RG-6 coax fitting connections. Tuner #2 is for TV #2 therefore TV #2 will be lost first during heavy rainfalls. Assuming TV #1 is the higher priority TV.

Make sure your RG-6 has been sweep tested to 2150 MHz or higher for the satellite feeds. The signal is "Bandstacked" 950 to 2150 MHz.
TUNER #1 "Lower Band" 950-1450 MHz
TUNER #2 "Upper Band" 1650-2150 MHz
This is why RG-59 won't work. This is also why the RG-6 needs to be sweep tested to 2150 MHz. Otherwise you will lose a range of channels.

You can use RG-59 or RG-6 from the diplexer to the second TV if necessary for use of existing household wiring. Be sure to use the 15db attenuator incuded with your 522 if your second tv is less than 75ft of cabling away from the receiver. If the signal quality is poor try removing the attenuator but always play it safe and use it 1st! The Agile Modulated Output to the second TV is 17db your tv is comfortable with 6db dont blow your TV Tuner use the attenuator.

Understanding di-plexers is rather simple actually just read the .pdf file using adobe reader.

http://www.solidsignal.com/dishnetwork/Installation_Documents/The_Ins_and_Outs_of_Diplexers.pdf

Post Back once installed hope everything goes well.

Make Sure You Get The Right Diplexor

I found out this weekend during install that you need to make sure that the diplexor can handle 2150 Mghrz. Some only carry up to 2050. If for some reason it isnt labeled properly, you'll know you have a bad one if when you connect it to the box, you will here a beeping when the box looks for a signal.

CygnusTM said:

I had a question about your 522 replacement. Are you on a lease plan? My 501 has had some hickup lately. I would love to have it replaced by a 522. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Voyagerbob

voyagerbob said:
I had a question about your 522 replacement. Are you on a lease plan? My 501 has had some hickup lately. I would love to have it replaced by a 522. Thanks for any help you can offer.
First on 12/2, I called Dish and asked for a 522. As expected, the CSR said it was for new customers only. I told her I would be switching to DirecTV, and she told me that DirecTivos were one tuner also, which is completely wrong. Still no dice. I pretty much knew it was going to work out that way. I just made the call to set up my next move, which was an e-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com. I explained that I was desperate for a two-tuner PVR, and that I was willing to go to DirecTV to get it, but was also reluctant to leave Dish because I've been happy with it so far. Later that day I got a call from Eric at the Executive Offices, and explained why I wanted a 522, and that I wasn't willing to wait until a possible promotion next year. I used a pleading tone, rather than an angry one. I think that helped. He was reluctant at first because 522s are supposed to be lease only, but I reminded him I was leasing already. (I was on DHP.) He said he would set me up like a new DHA customer and charge me $50 for the upgrade. They installed the 522 yesterday.

Update: Installed everything last night, and it works great. I connected the RF backfeed to the TV2 output at first and set it for channel 44. This worked fine, but to simplify things for my wife I changed it to the TV1 output. This way the other TVs see the output from the 522 if the receiver is off, and its own output if it's on. There is no need to change the channel on the TV. The other TVs aren't stereo, so we don't miss the stereo output from TV2. The diplexers I got were 5-2450 Mhz, so no problems there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)