Will this fit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

janzy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
I want to install a 36" motorized dish.
The dish has to go on the roof of a 3 story building that has a flat roof.
I can't lag it into the roof and was wondering if one of those non-penetrating roof mounts that are held down by cinder blocks will work.
What size mast do these things use and I figure I would need a long mast so the dish clears the roof surface. Does that sound right.
Another option would be a chimney mount, do these exist for FTA motorized dishes?
Thanks

I want to install a 36" motorized dish...Another option would be a chimney mount, do these exist for FTA motorized dishes?
Thanks

I have the 80cm dish mounted on my chimney. I used a channel master Model 9067 chimney mount, goes on the corner of the chimney and used a galvenized fence post (home depot/lowes).

There are other types of chimney mounts that would allow you to mount slightly to the side instead, may help distribute some of the weight to the roof by resting pole on the roof (using a plastic/rubber cap to prevent it from digging into roof, i.e. home depot/lowes plumbing end cap). Check for your chimney for plumb, mine is slightly off and need to shim up under the brackets one of these days.

Don't think any of the sponsors here sell them, here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Channel-Master-...ryZ73383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chimney-mount-f...ryZ73383QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

The non-penetrating roof mount will work fine if you have a flat roof. Just be sure to use good, heavy cinder blocks. These mounts generally have a 2 3/8" mounting pole, perfect for the Channel Master dishes or for a motor. I have two such mounts in my dish farm on the shed roof, one with a motorized rig and the other with a 1M Channel Master.

These mounts are available at Sadoun.

tall pole?

I want to install a 36" motorized dish.
I figure I would need a long mast so the dish clears the roof surface.
Three or four feet tall should be sufficient.
I have a five foot pole, and it puts the dish at about chest-height.
Unless there is a very tall wall around the top edge of the roof, there should be no problem
All the satellites are pretty high in the sky (unless you are terribly far north in Canada) :cool:
Likewise, stay away from the south edge of the roof (if it has a tall lip on it).
If you could describe (or show pictures of) the roof, we could offer better info.
Identify which way is south, if you do.

Attachments

• Dish90.jpg
    Dish90.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 156
You should check your roof out first, as it puts a lot of weight on the roof. Choose a place that has adequate support, and you may want to place something down first to both prevent damage to the top surface of the roof and prvent it from shifting on the roof. If more weight is needed, the cinder blocks can be filled with concrete to add weight. Be sure to use a pole high enough to make it useable, but not too extreme as it will act as a lever when the wind blows. i.e. does not need to be 10 ft above the roof

I personally use four 4 x 8 x 16" SOLID blocks, one at each corner. My NPRMs stayed up there through Hurricane Katrina (with no dish reflectors on them, of course) without moving at all :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts