Will This Gap Between Trees Be Large Enough For LOS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
On Wednesday the Directv installers will be here. I have taken a picture of the only spot in my yard that might work for getting LOS. There's a gap between two trees for getting LOS. Will this work.

91210004.jpg

If the sats are exactly between the trees, Yes.

Remember the signal come in much higher than you would think and bounces of the reflector into the LNB.

If you have a smart phone, you can download a dish pointer app that will tell you exactly where the bird sits

If the sats are exactly between the trees, Yes.

Remember the signal come in much higher than you would think and bounces of the reflector into the LNB.

Looking at where I was standing using the dish pointer website, it's not quite in between the trees there, it is in between the middle, and the tree to the right's farthest extending branches.

You can also use a $12 compass from wal-mart or hunting shop; and its likely much more accurate too. once you have the correct heading you can sort of eye-ball about 45 - 50 degrees up and get a great idea. There is a decent DIY method with a $1 protractor and the same compass.

Attachments

• compass.gif
    compass.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 166
  • protractor.gif
    protractor.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 168
Which one do you recommend ?

The DishpointerPro is like $ 20

Is that the one you mean ?
I got the Dishpointer Augmented for $10. Worked well for me when I used it. Had to put a Dish up at our place in Mammoth

Here is screen shot I just now took from my backyard using Dishpointer AR on my phone

Attachments

• IMG_0349.PNG
    IMG_0349.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 245
not sure. I know my buddy has a compass app on his iPhone and its somewhat slow, clunky and not accurate enough. Not sure if there is more than one app tho.

I think so, I cannot find that one on my Android Market selection.
I'm finding Dishpointer Pro for $ 20.

Anyone know the difference.

Also, do you need to d/l a compass for the phone as well for it to work ?
From what I read, the only difference between the pro version and the $10 version is this:

Why get the Pro version?
==============
+ Add your own satellites to the list, update them whenever you want - complete independence when satellite positions change or new ones appear - no need to wait for an official update. For business critical missions a must.
+Be on the safe side for future updates and new features. Pro version always take priority over the standard version.

Too me this is not worth paying twice as much for basically the same thing.

$10 version:

Features
========
+ Augmented Reality, see the satellites on the display
+ Works world wide at any location with any satellite
+ Select the satellites to be displayed from a list
+ Add or delete your own satellites to/from the list (PRO)
+ Displays satellite settings (azimuth, elevation, skew) and current magnetic as well as true heading for the screen center
+ Clarke Belt (satellite arc) is shown from east to west - all geostationary satellites are along this arc
+ When moving the iPhone laterally or vertically, the arc and the satellites move in real time with the live image
+ Ability to lock the compass, i.e. the arc won't move laterally anymore
+For 3G users, ability to enter a lateral reference point, such as a manual compass reading or an existing satellite position

Why get the Pro version?
==============
+ Add your own satellites to the list, update them whenever you want - complete independence when satellite positions change or new ones appear - no need to wait for an official update. For business critical missions a must.
+Be on the safe side for future updates and new features. Pro version always take priority over the standard version.

Usage instructions
=========
3GS users:
1. Switch it on and tap AR View button
2. In camera mode, look at the bottom label and rotate iPhone until it heads towards south (true heading = 180°). (People located on the southern hemisphere should point the iPhone north).
3. Lift the iPhone and watch the satellites appear
4. Move the device laterally and see the satellites moving too
5. Compass is sensitive to interferences but and works best when device is held flat. You can lock the compass in that position and lift the iPhone up but don't move it laterally then.

3G users:
1. As above but set the lateral reference mode first. The app needs to know in which direction you are pointing the iPhone. So either enter a manual compass bearing compensated for magnetic declination or a satellite position if you have already a working satellite or used DishPointer Maps for a reference Point.
2. Lift the iPhone up and see the arc but don't move the iPhone laterally, as it won't get shifted.

NOTE: You need a location fix for the app to work. No location, no satellites! So make sure you enable location services and wait long enough (after going into the camera mode) for the app to find your location.

If you have any problems or feedback, please drop us a line at support@dishpointer.com or on our forums hosted at SatelliteGuys.US. We are anxious to make this product work perfectly for every one of you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$20 pro version:

Features
========
+ Augmented Reality, see the satellites on the display
+ Works world wide at any location with any satellite
+ Select the satellites to be displayed from a list
+ Add or delete your own satellites to/from the list (PRO)
+ Displays satellite settings (azimuth, elevation, skew) and current magnetic as well as true heading for the screen center
+ Clarke Belt (satellite arc) is shown from east to west - all geostationary satellites are along this arc
+ When moving the iPhone laterally or vertically, the arc and the satellites move in real time with the live image
+ Ability to lock the compass, i.e. the arc won't move laterally anymore
+For 3G users, ability to enter a lateral reference point, such as a manual compass reading or an existing satellite position

Why get the Pro version?
==============

Usage instructions
=========
3GS users:
1. Switch it on and tap AR View button
2. In camera mode, look at the bottom label and rotate iPhone until it heads towards south (true heading = 180°). (People located on the southern hemisphere should point the iPhone north).
3. Lift the iPhone and watch the satellites appear
4. Move the device laterally and see the satellites moving too
5. Compass is sensitive to interferences but and works best when device is held flat. You can lock the compass in that position and lift the iPhone up but don't move it laterally then.

3G users:
1. As above but set the lateral reference mode first. The app needs to know in which direction you are pointing the iPhone. So either enter a manual compass bearing compensated for magnetic declination or a satellite position if you have already a working satellite or used DishPointer Maps for a reference Point.
2. Lift the iPhone up and see the arc but don't move the iPhone laterally, as it won't get shifted.

NOTE: You need a location fix for the app to work. No location, no satellites! So make sure you enable location services and wait long enough (after going into the camera mode) for the app to find your location.

If you have any problems or feedback, please drop us a line at support@dishpointer.com or on our forums hosted at SatelliteGuys.US. We are anxious to make this product work perfectly for every one of you.

From what I read, the only difference between the pro version and the $10 version is this:

Why get the Pro version?
==============

Too me this is not worth paying twice as much for basically the same thing.

I agree, however the only one I find on my phone is the Pro, but now online I see this one, but it too is $ 20, but it's FOR the android.

Would you go with this one ?

Android app released | DishPointer.com

On Wednesday the Directv installers will be here. I have taken a picture of the only spot in my yard that might work for getting LOS. There's a gap between two trees for getting LOS. Will this work.

91210004.jpg

Maybe, if the only sats you need are the 99/101/103 but I doubt you're going to find an installer willing to do it simply because there is not enough of a buffer zone between the trees. Most installers aren't going to set themselves up for repeated service calls for intermittent signal problems because the wind blows the trees into the signal path.

not sure. I know my buddy has a compass app on his iPhone and its somewhat slow, clunky and not accurate enough. Not sure if there is more than one app tho.
I can say that the Dishpoint AR app works very well and is not slow at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.