Will this setup work for FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

oregon5811

Original poster
May 12, 2005
I'm having trouble getting my polarity issue figured out.

I have a 12' dish with a c/ku band feedhorn on it. I bought one of the twinhan 102g cards and would like to hopefully attach it to the big dish so I have the ability to goto other sats.

The FTA recievers don't control a polarity servo like the analog reciever does.

How will I work with the polarity? Will I have to just change from an even channel to and odd channel on the analog reciever to change it? I'm assuming thats how but its not been that easy to get a good straight answer from a professionals standpoint on what I should do or have. Or should I attach a newer lnb up to the feedhorn? I belive I have seen adapters people make that will do that.

I'm just playing around with my toys but so far have not had any luck with the fta card. I have attempted to attach it to the c-band lnb on my big dish and pointed to AMC7 and got about a 75% signal but otherwise I got nothing.
Scan finds zip. Tried a couple other sats too. No luck.

The FTA card changes the voltage to the LNB to change the polarity, at least thats what I seem to understand. C-band analog recievers don't do that I don't think.

Any tips help or ideas are awsome.

You will use the analog or 4dtv box to change polarity, if you have a older lnb you may have drop outs and other problems, an upgrade to a Norsat (recommended) lnb would be a good idea, only if you have problems with the one being used now. Tune in a singnal on the dvb and play with the skew on the big dish box to get the quality up to the max, and then start scanning. Never used a dvb card but you should have it setup like this:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

Thanks for the response!

Okay here is what I am not able to figure out about the link to the illistration you sent.

The DVB card will supply power to the LNB. The Analog reciever will also be powering the LNB correct? Will there be a confilict or will I just simply ask the FTA card to NOT power the LNB? The FTA recievers power the LNB but change the polarity by changing the voltage correct?. The Analog reciever and the LNB and feedhorn I have now were designed for a constant voltage to the lnb and a servo to adjust polarity. Would I be better to consider a feedhorn with a 2 c-band and 2 ku-band lnbs and eliminate the servo? Or maybe just get a feedhorn with 2-cband lnb's and mount a ku band lnb by norsat somewhere up near the feedhorn?

Mostly my main concern is getting FTA on c-band. So I think I for sure need a new c-band lnb as I can't get a signal lock on the fta reciever. But i'd like to eliminate the whole having to change the analog reciever channels to change the polarity. But want to use my BUD antenna to do it all.

oregon5811 said:
Mostly my main concern is getting FTA on c-band. So I think I for sure need a new c-band lnb as I can't get a signal lock on the fta reciever. But i'd like to eliminate the whole having to change the analog reciever channels to change the polarity. But want to use my BUD antenna to do it all.

You could get a LNBF that would eliminate the issue of changing the channel on the analog to get FTA :)

http://www.dmsiusa.com/c-band_lnbf.htm

Awsome!

With one of these I think I could get pretty much what I want, but how would I still get Ku stuff? Could I mount a ku lnb near the scaler rings and jimmy up some ku signals too?

I have a dual C-band feedhorn too but i'm assuming this won't work because the fta reciever can't take in a H and a V. Can a diseq switch make that distinction? Any use for dual c-band feedhorn other than having a seperate h/v connection anymore?

I personally would not get a lnbf for c-band, you need DC block splitters they will only let one source send power to the lnb, and so you will not damage anything, do not use regular splitters, you can obtain good spitters from Sadoun, MechTech or RPS all these places are good to deal with. Good luck.

Oh and anyone have any tips on the 3 lnb series II direc dish I have? It's pointed where it would be pointed to recieve service from direc but can I pick up any fta audio or such channels with that dish where it's pointed currently? Or can that dish pick up any dishnet satellites as I hear there is FTA audion on some of the dish satellites.

Thanks!

Is there not such a thing as a c/ku band lnb that can be controlled by voltage for the changing of the polarity versus just getting only a c-band lnd like talked about above?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts