Will this setup work.

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
Here's what I am trying to do. I am wanting to get an OTA antenna and install it with a pre-amp and power inserter. But I need to split the signal before the power inserter. I was told a DC Block would be mandatory as to not let power up the line without the power inserter. Will this setup work?

Channel Master 4228 - Pre-amp - two way splitter. Then from the splitter I will of course have two different paths.

1. two way splitter - Channel Master 7777 - AM21 OTA receiver.
2. two way splitter - dc block - AM21 reciever.

Will that work and provide me the OTA signal to both of my D* boxes?

Thanks, hope I explained it well enough.

A DC block anywhere between the power inserter and the pre-amp will make the pre-amp useless. Sometimes the DC block capacitor is built into Most splitters as well.

Often one side of a splitter blocks and the other side passes DC. Should be labeled but might not on a thrifty one.

The DC block capacitor needs to be between the splitter/or pre-amp and the Un-Amplified OTA antenna. The reason is the DC will see a short circuit on the built in inductors (transformer) on the OTA antenna. That transformer passes AC signals but is a coil. One that just heats up (and burns up with a minimun amount of current). Not a good thing.

If the OTA antenna is amped or pre-amped, the blocking is built into the design and let the DC flow to get the best reception! Any DC blocking is a bad thing.

Hope this helps!

So the way I was going to wire it will not work?

I was going to put the dc block on the splitter going to the AM21 that does not have the power inserter. I thought that would block DC from coming in the AM21 and messing it up. I wasn't going to put a DC Block on the leg that is running from the splitter to the power inserter.

I just can't seem to figure this out.