Will this work - just take access card instead of entire receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sc0rp10n

Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Hi. I've posted a few times about setting up a dish at my cabin 75 miles away from my home and just taking a home reciever with me when I go to the cabin. I'm wondering if I can just buy a new receiver (same exact model as home receiver) and just take the access card from home to camp with me. My gut tells me this may not work b/c I think the card is tied to the receiver ID, but maybe not. I'm sure someone here knows the answer...

Nope, won't work. The Access Card is "married" to the receiver, and Directv keeps the receiver s/n tied with the access card s/n.

I go out to this location a few times a month. Can I just get an additional room in my house ($5/month) and leave it at my camp even though it won't be turned on but 2-3 times a month?

save the $ and erect the permanent dish at the cabin and continue to take one of the home receivers back & forth. Adding a receiver on the "home acct" will mirror the exact programming. If you want additional or separate locals (I think you might have mentioned that in another thread) to my knowledge you can't add it to the home acct and get different channels, but would have to create a different acct for the cabin address to do that. Example: if the two locations are in different DMAs.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
save the $ and erect the permanent dish at the cabin and continue to take one of the home receivers back & forth. Adding a receiver on the "home acct" will mirror the exact programming. If you want additional or separate locals (I think you might have mentioned that in another thread) to my knowledge you can't add it to the home acct and get different channels, but would have to create a different acct for the cabin address to do that. Example: if the two locations are in different DMAs.
But that is only IF he wants different locals, otherwise all your programming will be the same.

Jimbo

My 2 are in different DMAs but I can get the SD pittsburgh locals at the camper 90 min drive west of Pittsburgh.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts