Will voom address the OTA signal issue?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I (like many others) am unable to add local OTA channels to my guide, even though the signal strength is 99%. I don't know if I should wait for Voom to address this issue or start trying to get it fixed.

Can anybody say for sure if Voom is working on this? Maybe a way to just add any channels it happens to pick up? Any comments or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Dan

Are you talking about stations without PSIP data in the stream? Write letters to your local station, seems like they are lazy in that regards. Even some of the small time stations in my area have gone digital with PSIP.

The "NO PSIP STREAM" is a CROCK! All digital channels have a PSIP stream. No stb could decode the signal without the PSIP. The problem is that not everyone sends the same information (or all of the info) in the stream. Why is it I can tune in my Voom provided PBS and I can get a great signal strength on the point antenna screen, yet Voom will not pick it up during the autoscan? It's because Voom is looking for something in the PSIP that our PBS is NOT providing.

My Dish 6000 will pick it up during an autoscan and can identify the station's call letters & channel assignment, so what is Voom looking for that is missing? I don't know, but they need to change it. If the station is there, they should be able to pick it up.

Not every station sends PSIP data. Anyway this are the three elements that needs to be in the stream for the scanning function to work.

PSIP must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name

VOOM is also working on super DMA map that will map more than one DMA per zipcode. This will resolve the problem of channels without the three elements on the PSIP data stream since the mapping will be done for multiple DMAs.

I hope they are working on this one.

Its odd. I tried aiming my antenna so I could get FOX, but I never got good strength. I did however manage to pick up CBS.

I got an antenna upgrade so that I could get FOX. Now I don't get CBS even if I go back to the old antenna. Signal strength is better than ever. With another digital receiver I can get all stations.

Is it CBS PSIP info? I don't know, CBS DID work with voom at one time. And other receivers can get these channels just fine using the same antennas. I assume its a voom bug. I have reset the STB, unplugged, rescanned dozens of times with all different configurations. There isn't much left to do but complain to Voom. I hope they are working on something.

--Dan

CBS worked, got a new antenna, now FOx works but CBS does not, only one 1 receiver? Hmm... could this be multipathing? Could this be wiring problem and a power problem from that STB powering the antenna?

DarrellP said:
Here's a good description of PSIP.

No....definetly not every station station broadcast PSIP. Most do however. I know that the PBS station in Pittsburgh and in Erie, PA do not. I have talked to both stations. Because the Erie station is within my zipzode mapping I get a guide but not for their digitial station. I get the guide for the analog on the digital. Scanning however, depends on a PSIP data stream

If you guys would read the link above, every digital station MUST HAVE some form of PSIP, otherwise the tuner doesn't even know what the heck it's receiving. How does it know the channel? Is it on? What's the frequency? There has to be a PSIP in the data stream. Maybe some locals don't insert their info into it, but there is something there.

From the above link:

PSIP Re-branding
The simplest architecture is when a station receives a complete and fully ATSC-compliant transport stream, including the Electronic Program Guide. It can come from the network (e.g. the PBS satellite feed) or from a central studio for a group of stations. The stream must be customized for the station to prevent tuning problems with the receivers (TSID) and to brand the stream locally (major channel number, channel name…) but the only thing that needs to be changed is the branding information.

There is no need for a PSIP Generator therefore a Rebrander like Thales’ Gypsum will do the job. In many cases the station is actually an unmanned transmitter site and the reliability of the Rebrander becomes a critical factor. A dedicated hardware-based unit with redundant power supplies is a must. It must also be possible to monitor it remotely.

So you are right, not every station sends a PSIP because it is already in the stream.

Dvlos said:
CBS worked, got a new antenna, now FOx works but CBS does not, only one 1 receiver? Hmm... could this be multipathing? Could this be wiring problem and a power problem from that STB powering the antenna?

Could be multipathing, I really don't know. What I do know, is that I have 2 receivers and 1 of them gets everything with decent signal level (which one would you guess that is).

The Voom receiver on the other hand, is very picky about what it receives.

Its not a wiring problem nor a STB power issue as I have bypassed the STB power by using an antenna straight into the antenna jack, or an amplified antenna using a power inserter. I have used every configuration I can think of. I have 3 different antennas, a power inserter, amp, all types of co-ax adapters you can think of. I know there are a lot of possible problems here, but the fact remains that my other receiver picks up all the stations fine-and Voom box does not.

Strangely, I have NEVER been able to receive channel 3 (16-1) on ANY receiver, but I see it in my program guide. Huh.

--Dan

Voom OTA problems

I've posted this elsewhere but think it needs repeating. Now I'm the first to admit that I don't understand all I know about this OTA stuff but here's my experience and what I deduce from it.

I am located less than 8 miles from my local stations (3, 5, 13, 10, 24, 31, 51)

The first Voom-installed antenna was the Winegard (amplified). With it I could get two stations at a time depending on the direction it was pointed.

I decided that I needed an Omni directional antenna since I am surrounded by the stations. Voom installed the Radio Shack Omni-directional Amplified TV Antenna model 15-1634 on the same mast as the VOOM dish and connected it through the VOOM supplied diplexer. I still could not get locals with any reliability. I removed the antenna and placed it on top of my TV and connected it directly to the VOOM box. I still could not get a reliable signal.

So I decided the Omni was not such a good idea after all. I bought a RS directional for $50. I could fiddle with it and pick up any station except ABC (they broadcast a low signal in this area.)

I took the advice from someone on this forum (Thank You!) and ordered the Radio Shack double bow-tie antenna for $10 plus shipping. It works much better than the others. I have it in a closet next to my TV. Don’t even have to move it around much. I took the other one back and got my 50 bucks back.

Now for the interesting part. My next door neighbor has Dish Net HD. He was not getting any local channels and he wanted to watch the Olympics on NBC. I let him borrow Voom’s Omni-directional, the one I had tried and failed with. He hooked it up and tossed it behind the TV on the floor. He scanned for locals with the Dish Net STB and picked up EVERY ONE OF THEM! Even the very weak ABC station.

Now the conclusion I draw from this is that the OTA problems that many of us are fighting result from the poor quality of the Motorola receiver.

Heres an update on my situation. I emailed the station and asked them if they were having PSIP problems, changes, etc. Asked if they could reset the generator. When I got home, I scanned channels and the Voom box found my channel 17-1

Problem solved, possibly I jumped on Voom to quickly? Yet my other receiver DID pick up the channel even when PSIP was screwed up. I am less concerned with this issue now that everything works, but it would be nice if the Voom box was more tolerant to these apparently common issues.

Thanks,
--Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)