Will Voom Show a real DVR tomorrow at CES 2005? Yes!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Ok, non-believers this your chance to have your own magic 8 ball. It looks like everyone has one about VOOM, anyway :D. So do you want to bet on this one?

Sure, I'll be glad to take you up on this one. ;)

I'll wager a dozen doughnuts that they'll be showing the DVR. You can pick the flavor.

Does the "real deal" mean an actual production model and not a prototype or one-of-a-kind device? I would think if they are going to have the DVR released within 5 months then they should already be working with the actual hardware and should be involved in the testing and finalizing the firmware. My answer is no - they will not have the production DVR at CES.

My wife sat me down last night and asked why we still have both voOm and cable. We watch network TV and use the DVR 80% of the time(she made a spreadsheet, i kid you not).
I have hung on until now believing they were moving forward.
However this is the deal maker for me, if there is not a fully functional model then I will need to walk away from Voom until they are in the market and a proven winner.

I voted "yes" because Sean started the thread and he must know something. If Voom doesnt have one by the show then I dont think they ever will.

I sure hope they show a working DVR, but I'll take a wait-and-see position. I'm trying out the local cable company's HD DVR, and I'm hooked already even though they don't have many HD channels compared to Voom (still more than D* and E* though).

I voted no also...I want the DVR soooo badly, I really dont think my dream will come true. Im hoping to be dead wrong about this.

I voted no. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the same vaporware presentation they have given the last two times out. Scott can just repost his video of it from before.

Cable's Dual Tuner DVRs are stealing VOOM's dwindling customer base.

VOOM surprise me!

vurbano said:
I voted "yes" because Sean started the thread and he must know something. If Voom doesnt have one by the show then I dont think they ever will.

It seems the moderators like Scott and Sean have sometimes enjoyed a tease like this. That is why I also voted yes.

Not only did I vote YES, and believe there will be a DVR there, but I think Voom will also be showing off a non-hd receiver as well....

The answer is YES. The DVR complete solution will be there as some of you already have posted a press release and some already have some insight information. The box was built by motorola and its model # is the 580; it will have OPENTV software and Ucentric (DVR software) plus NDS. The whole network solution will be presented. What to look for? Everything.... Speculate now how long before it gets out but this is it. This is the production box that will be rolled out. I hope Scott takes a lot of pictures and video. I wonder why OPENTV??? ;)

Oh Sean you big tease :)

Well I just read this thread so it made my vote easy.

I'm pretty sure I will be joing voom in February, hopefully everything will still be there and will go smoothly without being screwed!

So, no whole home solution at all? Wasn't that what they promoted last year on the CES? What's the status on that. uCentrics press release seems to state 'only' the DVR solution for vOom.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)