Will you change your plan due to increase?

Will you change your plan?

• Yes

Votes: 129 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 105 37.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 48 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like Dish Subs are going to drop in the coming year.
What's the driving force with all these changes? Dish seems to have no fear of competition like Fios or all the others they just doing there own thing. I know they launched satellites and those cost a pretty penny but still has to be less then what Fios is costing to build.
I would think they want more customers not less in the coming year. Someone explain this to me.
Not sure where you're getting your stats from. Hey, even in this angry thread, only half the responders are even changing their package because of the new rates.

And most of them will cool off and keep their programming. After all, they bought that programming originally for a reason. Some will drop, for real financial reasons. This is TV, not food.

And most of them will cool off and keep their programming. After all, they bought that programming originally for a reason. Some will drop, for real financial reasons. This is TV, not food.

Just reading page 4 of this thread just got me a little down. Didn't want to bring anything.

To me, this price increase only increased the amount of irritation I had from the other issues.

Yeah, a $10 / mo increase is steep - but it probably wouldn't make me drop my TV service.

But, throw in the fact that after 9 months they still can't get the Philly ABC HD station to come in clear - the other SD local channels look like 1988 analog cable - my other $10 discount is running out (making it a $20/mo increase) - the VOOM channels play nothing but the same garbage week after week - they seem to care more about adding worthless international channels than American ones - and most importantly FIOS TV just became available to me and i'm getting installed 1/4 - it made it easy.

Oh wait, let's not forget all the awful rumors on this board (Weather app, INHD, RSN's) - it's like reading the damn gossip magazines.

I'll have the same package with Verizon (pretty much what DISH's Platinum was) for $102.95/mo. And i'll have Comcast Sportsnet Philly back.

sh*t, I still have 9 months left on my 18 month committment and i'm dropping these dogs. If i'm going to spend my money, this much money, on something i enjoy, it's going to be the best available.

Last edited:
To me, this price increase only increased the amount of irritation I had from the other issues.

Yeah, a $10 / mo increase is steep - but it probably wouldn't make me drop my TV service.

But, throw in the fact that after 9 months they still can't get the Philly ABC HD station to come in clear - the other SD local channels look like 1988 analog cable - my other $10 discount is running out (making it a $20/mo increase) - the VOOM channels play nothing but the same garbage week after week - they seem to care more about adding worthless international channels than American ones - and most importantly FIOS TV just became available to me and i'm getting installed 1/4 - it made it easy.

Oh wait, let's not forget all the awful rumors on this board (Weather app, INHD, RSN's) - it's like reading the damn gossip magazines.

I'll have the same package with Verizon (pretty much what DISH's Platinum was) for $102.95/mo. And i'll have Comcast Sportsnet Philly back.

sh*t, I still have 9 months left on my 18 month committment and i'm dropping these dogs. If i'm going to spend my money, this much money, on something i enjoy, it's going to be the best available.

Do you know if your allowed to purchase the reciever that FIOS provides?
My thing is the home dvr reciever needs another basic receiver to see a program you recorded on the dvr on a second set. I kind of like the two output DVR that Dish has its one appliance not two. I guess there is pros and cons here.

I plan to drop HBO and do the NetFlix thing. Last year I downgraded from AT180 to AT120 and never looked back, so I may also drop to AT60 or whatever they plan to call it.

This is the only way I know to protest. I was hoping the industry would offer more options to consumers either in the form of a la carte or more granular packages. Tired of paying the ESPN tax. Congress is bought and paid for, so I doubt they'll do anything.

I currently have AT180, and dropping down to AT60. I'm just tired of paying close to 60 a month, just to see DieHard 11ty billion times a month.

I'm also going to do the netflix thing too, and then I get to choose which movies I want to see. Plus it would come out to about what I'm paying now for AT180, and I get way more choice in movies.

I'm also ticked that there is no way to downgrade your programming via the website. Upgrading, sure no problem. Oh you want to downgrade, well we'll need you to 'talk' to one of our CSR's for that.

I'm also going to do the netflix thing too,.... and I get way more choice in movies.

Not to mention real DVD quality, not the half-baked video quality that is currently on the air.
(It's not just the hi def users who have something to bitch about)

Voting is 41% yes, 41% no, and 18% undecided.
Think about it.
That's 41% of the people who will -do- something about it.
I sure as hell couldn't afford to piss off 41% of my customers!

In all fairness, not all 13 million Dish customers read SatelliteGuys, nor voted.
...is that 13 million accounts, or receivers...?

Last edited:
No, it's 41% of an activist group that SAY they will do something. By far, most people are not as active or involved as people on this site (as you noted in your "fairness" comment), so our results cannot be extended to the population at large (self-selection). And my guess is, most that SAY they will do something, won't. After all, we have the packages we do because of a reason. Most will likely decide in the end they don't want to give up programming.

I just ordered the platinum service..but i am not counting on paying more than 130$ a month...no way. i will stick with cable then.

The only thing I'm going to get rid of is the Superstation package. SInce most Baseball and Basketball have migrated awsay from those stations and all of my TVs are HD, I rarely watch them anymore. With two 622s the DVR fees would bring the price up to more than it is now.

Scott

Last edited:
I just downgraded to the AT60.

By the way, you can do it via email if anyone was wondering!!
So that's about $20 that Dish won't be seeing from me each month now.

In the past when I was with cable, I used to just get mad but never did anything with the increases.

But now that I'm with dish and all the commercials that used to air about how bad cable was because of the rate increases, and you should switch to Dish Network because their rates are stable. It really ticks me off now, that after I switched I've seen 3 rate increases.

THIS makes 6 rate increases since 2001. AEP was $69.99 back then and now it is $89.99 . So that makes $20.00 more divided by 6years makes it $3.33 increase per average year. So by 2010 we will be at the price of 99.99 for AEP before locals are added .

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Downgrade now and save the money . Go with Netflix or Blockbuster memberships. Get more choices of WHAT you WANT and Pay less MONEY.

I dropped HBO/Cinemax and Superstations last year. I can't go below HD Gold cuz I need The Science Channel and NatGeo-HD.

I would hate to see what the rates are 5-10 years from now but then again Dish/Direct might not be around by then if they dont get into IPTV or get internet or some other things to compete better. They have to add 750,000 to get a net gain of 250,000 customers per quarter because of all the churn that they have. It would not take much for them to start going the other way.

Just buy the movie package for one month and put as many as you can on the DVR and then you will have those movies for several months. Sure saves a bundle doing it that way.

Don't forget the $4 increase in the warranty for those that have the $2 warranty. It goes from $2 to $6. So I guess some of those that have AEP Platinum will have a $14 increase. A $16 increase if you have an adult channel on top of that.

I sure would think that there will be a lot more dropping their packages down instead of up after this kind of rate increase. This will cause some to switch providers altogether to get some sort of deal.

To anyone considering downgrading, I'd suggest waiting until after the price increase is announced to the general public, or until after you get your first bill. That will clarify the message you're trying to send.

By downgrading now, it looks like you're just doing it on your own. By waiting, there will be a direct cause they can associate with the changes you're making.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)