Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

Written by an analyst who has an interest in their long term success.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah way to early but I think it's easy to see those are the 3 main players. Only one that I see that could not be around very long is Blackberry.. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-surface-rt-pro-tablet,19425.html

Micosoft is rumored to already be cutting the producting of its Surface RT tablet.

According to a report published by Digitimes, Windows RT "may not perform as well as expected in the market"

The article suggests that Microsoft has cut tablet orders by half and there is now reason to believe, if the information is accurate, that Microsoft will miss the anticipated goal of 4 million shipped Surface RT tablets by the end of the year. Instead, Microsoft may only ship 2 million units. Digitimes said that Asustek Computer, Samsung Electronics and Dell are also seeing weak demand for Windows RT devices.

RT version seems to not be attracting consumer interest.

Yeah way to early but I think it's easy to see those are the 3 main players. Only one that I see that could not be around very long is Blackberry.. :)

Maybe yes, maybe no. BB10 is supposed to be pretty amazing.

Haven't worked with it myself.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Here's a link to an article discussing the Surface Pro from a pricing standpoint. I hadn't actually seen any prices for the Pro as I wasn't in the market.

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarg...icrosoft-surface-pricing-dooms-it-to-failure/

The article is fairly negative about the pricing structure and I can see why. For the kind of money MS wants for the Pro, assuming those prices are accurate, I could and would most likely buy a MacBook Air. Same pricing structure, but a nice all metal casing and a proven customer pleaser. Personally I think that MS really has missed the boat with the SurfaceRT and it looks like they will continue mis-paddling that canoe with the Surface Pro.

Damned shame! The Surface is one slick looking box, too bad they haven't figured out a way to catch the market with it in spite of the incessant advertising and product placement MS has done.

I read that and was going to post it, but I apparently eat too much Gingerbread ;)

On a more serious note, there's a lot of good competition out there with iPad and various android tablets like the Nexus 10 and the Asus Transformer Infinity (which I have). They aren't coming in cheaper, so they can't compete on price.

The app market is comparitively abyssmal versus the Apple and Android app stores.

So what's left, the name and the user interface? Clearly both Apple and Android must be doing something right here as they aren't exactly hurting in tablet sales. If trend continues they are going to be a niche player in this space too.

Biggest problem is not price, but the ability to try out the units. After playing with my Iconia for a bit 2-3 guys at work are going to pass on getting an Air and get an i5-based W8 Pro tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, MS's decision to only offer the Surface at their very few stores and online direct from them has to be one of the biggest bonehead marketing stunts I've seen in quite some time. How the hell do you get someone to want something priced in the ranges we've seen for the RT and PRO and you can't get your hands on one in a store near you? All that advertising and product placement aside, it doesn't seem that MS has ginned up much demand for the product if the reports on RT sales are correct.

I assume the Iconia you are talking about is the W700?? I looked at them today on the web. Seems like a decent box and if you just have to have W8, I suppose it is a better choice than an Air or the Surface.

Me? I'd still opt for the Air. So far I'm very underwhelmed with Win8 on my Acer laptop and touch wouldn't make it better.

I just read a report via Slashdot that the expected battery life on the surface pro is half of the RT version, so four hours. That's an epic fail if true. One of the great benefit of tablets is their extremely long battery lives. A tablet with only four ours of juice is going to have trouble competing.

HP, Lenovo and (maybe) Toshiba have had these types of rotating display options for a number of years. At least 5, maybe more. It's just the latest iteration of these devices which have not sold well historically.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Yeah never used Lenovo stuff but they have some nice looking devices out and they seem to work well from what I hear.

Personally, I think they should have done this at launch. I saw a Surface tablet at Verizon Saturday but it was built into the windows phone display counter, and you could not hold it to get a feel for it. This, IMO, hurt launch sales.

Personally, I think they should have done this at launch. I saw a Surface tablet at Verizon Saturday but it was built into the windows phone display counter, and you could not hold it to get a feel for it. This, IMO, hurt launch sales.

Yeah I agree. I think what held them back some was that they might have not had enough in production to get out to more retailers but this is something they should have been able to do. Either way I think many are waiting on the Surface Pro version which is not due out until next month so it will be nice to see the Pro in main retail stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)