windows XP not genuine

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I have a PC that recently have this problem. I know the XP license is genuine because I installed it from a volume license that the company has. I have tried a few things that I found online by googling the problem. Any can recommend how to get rid of this? I am planning to rebuild the PC if nothing works

I've called Microsoft in the past and they asked me to read info off the disk and they gave me another key but that was in the mid 2000's. Don't think they will do that now will they?

I have a PC that recently have this problem. I know the XP license is genuine because I installed it from a volume license that the company has. I have tried a few things that I found online by googling the problem. Any can recommend how to get rid of this? I am planning to rebuild the PC if nothing works

Volume license for Windows XP usually does not require on-line activation and as I understand, it is not bound to specific hardware configuration, unlike the more recent versions of Windows. However, Microsoft may verify the license from time to time, e.g. during software installation. Possible reasons for the warning you are getting:

1. Most likely: your Windows installation and/or configuration is damaged. You need to restore it to an earlier stage.

2. The company's Volume License is no longer valid: perhaps it was revoked or was not renewed (if it's an annual subscription). Check with the company - see if you need to use a different activation key - this would be unusual though for Microsoft to revoke a Volume license.

Call the 800 number shown on the screen, its automated... follow the prompts and when it asks you tell it you replaced the motherboard of the computer.

It will then spit out a new activation key for you to use.

I have done this many times and it has never been an issue. :)

Call the 800 number shown on the screen, its automated... follow the prompts and when it asks you tell it you replaced the motherboard of the computer.

It will then spit out a new activation key for you to use.

I have done this many times and it has never been an issue. :)

If it's a true XP Volume License, then there is no separate activation code for each computer: it's usually just one universal code for the entire company, and it is not bound to any hardware configuration. However, if Microsoft detects that too many computers are activated with that code (e.g. if the code was stollen), it may revoke the license and issue a new activation code for the company. Unlikely, but possible.

However, if Microsoft detects that too many computers are activated with that code (e.g. if the code was stollen), it may revoke the license and issue a new activation code for the company.
What happens to all of the PCs currently using what is now an invalid VLK though ?

What happens to all of the PCs currently using what is now an invalid VLK though ?
Yes, that would be a nightmare for the IT department! That's why Microsoft almost never does that.
Again, I think Sean's license code is probably fine and the problem is most likely caused by a damaged Windows installation.

Hasn't Microsoft cut off all support for XP now? I remember they extended it, but surely that has passed. I still have 3 or 4 XP on my network. Meant to bring everyone up to 7 by 12/31/11 but......

Windows XP support ends on April 8, 2014. No more security updates after that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They have announced and changed the Windows XP support kill of date how many times now? :)

Wouldn't be surprised if they change it again.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They have announced and changed the Windows XP support kill of date how many times now? :)

Wouldn't be surprised if they change it again.

I don't know. How many? :)
XP was released in 2004 and 10 years of the extended support is Microsoft's standard support lifecycle.
And with Windows 7 an now Windows 8 designed to run on computers of all sizes, down to underpowered netbooks and tablets, there is no much need left for XP.
And for few remaining corporate legacy applications, Microsoft will allow Windows 7 to XP downgrade until 2020!

Thank you- I can comfortably meet that date! :haha

Just gotta get to all 7s before the 8 ball comes out.

Ilya said:
I don't know. How many? :)
XP was released in 2004 and 10 years of the extended support is Microsoft's standard support lifecycle.
And with Windows 7 an now Windows 8 designed to run on computers of all sizes, down to underpowered netbooks and tablets, there is no much need left for XP.
And for few remaining corporate legacy applications, Microsoft will allow Windows 7 to XP downgrade until 2020!

Windows XP was released in 2001.

Neutron said:
Windows XP was released in 2001.

You are right! Not sure what I was thinking!
It was released before Windows Server 2003, not after!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)