Windy Days bring Better Reception!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tevai

Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
York, PA
Hi, I'm new to this forum. We've had DirecTV for ten years now, same dish, same receiver. Six months ago we replaced our old tube TV with a Toshiba 23HLV87, an HD TV with built-in DVD player. When we play DVD movies, the picture is beautiful, so I'm confident the TV's functionality is not the problem.

We hooked our new LCD TV up to the receiver box with a coaxial cable. Our DirecTV reception is pretty fuzzy and flickering, so I'm resigned to upgrading to HD sometime soon. What I can't understand is that on very windy days, our reception will flutter, then get really super clear. The transponder signal doesn't change, just the picture quality. It's really peculiar. It doesn't last long, inevitably the picture reverts to its usual poor quality. But for a few minutes, we can see what's possible.

Anyone have a clue why reception would improve on windy days?

Umm... your picture is not going to get less fuzzy because of wind. Unless you watch tv outside in the wind that could move that coax cable a bit.

Out of a sd box I would say use the Svideo port on the receiver and see what your picture looks like.
This is not an analog signal it is digital and it basically all or nothing. Digital satellite services do not get more or less fuzzy .

Any chance you have a tree obstruction, and the wind is pushing branches out of the way?

There is a pretty good chance that you're getting some sort of interference on your RF connection. You should try using a line level connection as stonecold recommends and see if you can't get a more consistent picture.

It will likely never be "super clear" on an HDTV, but it shouldn't be fuzzy (although it might look a little smeary).

Any chance you have a tree obstruction, and the wind is pushing branches out of the way?

This would cause pixalition, not fuzz ....

I am leaning to having a bad connector on the coax end and when the wind blows it moves the coax and causes the picture issues.

part of what Stonecold said.

Jimbo

I read some reviews on the OP tv could not find really anything bad about it still leaving it to bad cable or rf interference on channel 3/4... RCA /Svideo should help clear up any problems.

I've seen this before on old legacy systems and it would be corrected with new cabling and checking the dish for a loose mount and sometimes retuning the dish. Its an odd bug but it does happen and any installer with dish or direct thats been around for 8 years or more can tell you about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts