windy weather = loss of 80% channels

greatgoogly

Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
I have a Superdish. Last night when I switched on the TV's I found the majority of my channels were gone and on subsequent investigation found out satellite 119 was no longer receivable. We had some mildly gusty winds the night before but nothing that I would consider severe or that doesn't happen maybe a dozen times a year. The Dish network person I spoke to said it sounded like the dish may have shifted, and they will send someone out next week to realign it.
Question is, how common is this? If every couple of months when we get a gust I'm going to lose channels for the better part of a week I am not going to be a happy customer. Is it possible the installer did not tighten down a screw holding the dish in place enough? If so, this is the second sloppy install I have had with Dish in the last 8 weeks. Ahhhrrrggg. Not a real happy camper. BTW I just checked NWS records and it looks like the peak gust was probably around 35MPH. :mad:

I have never had that happen to me. The only time i lose a signal is a few minutes before a HUGE storm hits (2-3 times a year) and only then it's only for a few minutes. Sounds like an installer problem.

Interesting, now everything is back normal and the signal strength on sat 119 looks good (101). Very odd. I'll ask the obvious did anyone else have problems with 119 around 10PM EST last (jan 14)? Otherwise I wonder if maybe water got into the connection of the cable to the satellite and that was causing problems. I'm going to see how it goes, and not cancel the repair call as it seems like some may not be right.

Sounds like a sloppy install.

I have serveral 30" Dishes outside (one for D* one for E*) and a 20" Dish... The oldest one of them is sitting there for 4 years without any need for realignment - and survived several storms, two with 80+ mph wind....

I do my own installs - maybe that's the difference ;)

Just saw your second post... Was it only Windy or also rainy? Maybe you got water in one of the connections and it took some time to dry out?

If it was just wind, you should not lose your signal. The dish should be ridgidly secured so that it does not move. However, if there was heavy rain or snow anywhere between your dish and the satellite (doesn't necessarily have to be raining at your house) then it could be normal to lose your signal.

We had, had several days of rain and ice. At the time that I noticed the missing satellite 119 there was no precipitation in the area. At this point I'm suspicious that a connection at the dish was not good and water got into it.

I have had the exact same problem. It doesn't happen all the time night and day. My switch is in the basement. However every now and than at least once or twice a day I lose 119. I do a check switch and it shows that 119 is gone or it shows even poliarity in the chart. I only have two recievers connected to the switch and swapped them around and still have the problem. I finally called dish to come but they can't make it till the end of Jan. Which really pissed me off. I never had problems before the super dish. I never lose 105 channels which is the weakest bird. I just don't understand. I retightened all the connections too. I think it must be the dish or switch.

My problem does seem to crap out the most around 9 CST (or 10 EST) but now it seems to do it several times a day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)