Winegard DS-2076 Stab HH120

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwwbrennan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Canada
I have a Winegard DS-2076 and purchased a Stab HH120 to move it about (the SG2100 was not working correctly). Well, that was an error. Does anyone know of an adapter kit or alternative Winegard mount that would allow them to be used together? Barring that, I wonder what solutions others might recommend. I really don't want to replace either item unless it is the only solution.

jwwbrennan said:
I have a Winegard DS-2076 and purchased a Stab HH120 to move it about (the SG2100 was not working correctly). Well, that was an error. Does anyone know of an adapter kit or alternative Winegard mount that would allow them to be used together? Barring that, I wonder what solutions others might recommend. I really don't want to replace either item unless it is the only solution.

Will not work together. No adapters are manufactured to reduce the STAB HH120 or increase the post clamp on the Winegard DS-2076.

The DS-2076 is undersized for FSS and the STAB HH120 is better suited for larger 1 and 1.2m dishes.

I would probably get a motor with the proper sized shaft, but if you search for a 1 5/8" pole adapter you can make it work. The pole adapter has a slot on one end and two threaded holes with bolts in it. You can tap the cap of the STAB shaft a few times and it will come off allowing you to put the adapter pipe on and mount the 2076 to the adapter pole. It will not be the most stable thing in the world and you need to align the adapter pipe and evenly tighten the bolt, etc. It might be a good temporary solution though until you decide to purchase a larger dish to work with the STAB HH120.

Thanks, this expense will go on the educational side of the ledger.

I have a great GeoSatpro 1.2 in another location that is solid as a rock and unwavering in its reception. Will a new one work with the Stab HH120? I am a little concerned with the size as it is mounted on the side of the house with a six foot pipe up into strong wind. I know the dish will be fine but the support is connected to wooden fascia board with a jury rigged base so as the dish size increases so does the stress on the house (although there is no sign of failure). I am very pleased with GeoSat so if the 1.2 works is it the smallest in the series that can be used?

Will not work together. No adapters are manufactured to reduce the STAB HH120 or increase the post clamp on the Winegard DS-2076.

That is a shame and I am suprised that STAB does not offer an alternate 40 or 42 mm tube.

The DS-2076 is undersized for FSS.

It is acceptable for use with FSS further south where the footprint (EIRP) is stronger. I have two DS-2076 antennas in use and they are doing a bang up job at 41.6°N. I felt that some clarification was required.

RADAR

Thanks, this expense will go on the educational side of the ledger.

I have a great GeoSatpro 1.2 in another location that is solid as a rock and unwavering in its reception. Will a new one work with the Stab HH120? I am a little concerned with the size as it is mounted on the side of the house with a six foot pipe up into strong wind. I know the dish will be fine but the support is connected to wooden fascia board with a jury rigged base so as the dish size increases so does the stress on the house (although there is no sign of failure). I am very pleased with GeoSat so if the 1.2 works is it the smallest in the series that can be used?

Jwwbrennan,

You may find issues with wind loading here. I have my 1.2M GeoSatPro mounted on a tripod mast on the ground with three 2 foot anchor rods. The base is about four feet in diameter. This makes the mast as stout as a concreted parking lot barrier post. Even so, if the wind is just right, I have troubles. The combination of where I have the dish parked and the wind direction (if it is just right) will flutter my dish. The mast isn't moving, that is solid as a rock, but the dish is "quivering" just enough for me to notice the change in the signal quality. If you have a tall mast like you say, I would be adding some additional support brackets.

Brackets mind you, not cables. Solid brackets.

I don't usually get winds this strong and this bizarre, but every once in a while, there are times when it is 50 mph and higher and varying in direction and may continue for many hours or even days. You can understand the stress and the forces that are applied.

RADAR

Last edited:
Thanks Radar, I have blown the educational budget for the time so will try to find the smallest dish designed for use with the HH120.

The attachments are photographs of the GeoSatpro1.2 set for AMC21. The height is required for the trees in front and the trees behind protect it somewhat from the wind. The mast leans forward as I am very east of the satellite and the dish is at the minimum elevation (due to the unconventional mast), the eight stakes are driven well into the ground, the guys are strung like violin strings and the dish could be tighter but I would rather have it rotate in high wind than fall in a broken heap. It works surprisingly well and withstands normal off-the-water winds without a hitch. When it moves in a storm I just go up a ladder with a stick and push it back into place in a few minutes. Oh yea. It is anchored to a cement foot and can be swung down for maintenance. Down, for the record. is much easier than up.

Attachments

• SatelliteDishDetail.jpg
    SatelliteDishDetail.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 247
  • SatelliteDish.jpg
    SatelliteDish.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
The main reason that I do not recommend any dish smaller than a 90cm is that none are 2 degree compliant.

The DS-2076 is a fine dish that we sold and I installed for many years. It performs adequately in regions within main footprints and on transponders that are on satellites separated by four or more degrees. It performs poorly on transponders that receive competing signals from nearby satellites.

We distributed both Winegard and STAB for many years, so have experienced the hardware incompatibilities repeatedly. In fact, we even placed disclaimers on both products warning of the hardware requirements.

You might check with the reseller and see if they will exchange to a more suitable model. BTW.... As I recall, the Stab HH90 model does not play well with the DS-2076 hardware either.

Nice sail you have there.... Where is the boat? LOL!!! All kidding aside.... Wow! What a feat to mount and aim!!!!

Thanks Radar, I have blown the educational budget for the time so will try to find the smallest dish designed for use with the HH120.

The attachments are photographs of the GeoSatpro1.2 set for AMC21. The height is required for the trees in front and the trees behind protect it somewhat from the wind. The mast leans forward as I am very east of the satellite and the dish is at the minimum elevation (due to the unconventional mast), the eight stakes are driven well into the ground, the guys are strung like violin strings and the dish could be tighter but I would rather have it rotate in high wind than fall in a broken heap. It works surprisingly well and withstands normal off-the-water winds without a hitch. When it moves in a storm I just go up a ladder with a stick and push it back into place in a few minutes. Oh yea. It is anchored to a cement foot and can be swung down for maintenance. Down, for the record. is much easier than up.

HOLY MOLY! Unconventional is definitely the word to apply here! That is an amazing setup.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)