winegard sizes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
i found a c band dish but it looks smaller then a 10 footer it must be older cuase the guy said the receiver had diffrent units too it. what size of c band dish the winegard make? i dont think its c only mesh it small mesh

Winegard made 6.3"mash dish 7.6"mash dish and 10"mash dishes

I have 2 6.3" and one 7.6" very nice dishes.

The dish is black IIRC Il snap a pic tomarow will a 7.2 foot outperform a 6 foot fortec star?

6rmxrm.jpg
ok so I got bored and took some pics of the 8 footer (or 7.6) whatever you call it. The dish is stamped 07-93 so im guesing thats a date stamp (i was on the mount) the lnbf cover says winegard but I didnt see it anywhere on the dish so I cant 100 percent say its a winegard but more or less likely it is.
There is a mesh peice that has come out near the edge do to high wind, but it looks like it could be fixed easily buy screwing it back in. The mount is in good shape the poweder coat is peeling on the bottom and there are small hail dents along the botom. So should I go for it or buy the fortect star 6 footer?
My MAIN concern is how much does this weigh? it doesnt have as much meat on it as the 10 foor disd footer. But DANG it took 4 strong people to take down the 10 footer.
2uhs8ee.jpg

30dexz5.jpg

the messed up part... fixable?
28s4oea.jpg

I'll put it this way.
If it was close to me, it'd be mine. :)
I've never had a lot of trouble moving the lightweight mesh dishes.
I dis-assembled and re-assembled my dad's 7.5 footer myself.
For my 10' I called on some help from my bro.
The mount weighs more than the dish.
I've always removed the dish from the mount myself (it's only 4 small bolts.)
Others have their own methods...

the 10 footer weighed 150 pounds without the mount the mount weighs about 80 pounds. The 7.5 footer has a smaller mount and thinner aluminum ribbing the ribs on the 10 footer were 10 pounds a peice.

The reason i scraped the 10 footer becuase something was warped on it. It had been droped once. It had the feedhorn and pole perfectly level and f/d set right and it could not see anything past 60'w no matter how I adusted the feedhorn, course latitude or fine elevation, it would not pick it up. The mesh is sllighty bigger then the 10 perf i had but still small enough for ku.

1. the problem is if that mesh is fixable?
2. do people on here have peices of panels they could sell?
3. would this wiegh about as much as a 6 foot unimesh? i have taken one down before by myself no problem

Last edited:
Yes the mesh is repairable/replaceable, you can buy new replacement mesh, if necessary (maybe someone on here has some to spare.)
I doubt my 10 foot dish weighs 50 pounds without the mount & feedhorn legs... it might...
It's just so friggin big - the slightest breeze and you can forget holding on to it - that's why I needed help!
Most people advise against it, but I separated the panels on mine for the move. It's just a lot easier to handle.
When I put it back together I was expecting to have to make some adjustments for the string test, but it was dead on the first time.

I'd take it :)

As for the mesh being messed up in the corner, that little bit wont do much harm. My 6 foot dish has fallen off a 30" tall table 4 times (had to put it on the table to clear the roof) and it works just as good as the "good" 6 footer I have

I dont understand somethings.
1. The guy that lived there before (moved away I havent talked to the new owner yet) said that the receiver had 3 units too it. If the dish is dated 93 they had irds for a while unless the dish has been replaced.

2. How much does it way?? The 10 footer took 2 people to take down the mount and 4 guys to lift the reflector back on the mount.

3. where can mesh be had? I think i can get some and press it to the form of the other panel to fit it or i might leave it alone.

4. will the small hail dents along the bottom section hurt anything?

There was a time when I had a Receiver, a Dish Mover, and a Videocipher2 Descrambler. I got the Dish Mover to get rid of the Hand Crank. I got the Vediocipher2 Descrambler to get subscription programming when they started encrypting everything.

4. will the small hail dents along the bottom section hurt anything?

read my post above

iceberg said:
As for the mesh being messed up in the corner, that little bit wont do much harm. My 6 foot dish has fallen off a 30" tall table 4 times (had to put it on the table to clear the roof) and it works just as good as the "good" 6 footer I have

Attachments

• 000_0492.jpg
    000_0492.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 000_0493.jpg
    000_0493.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 161
My 10 ft originally sat under pecan trees. The lower mesh on it looks like somebody was practicing their pitching skill with a baseball...
Not to mention the panel that my kid stepped thru when I had it assembled on the ground!!!
Maybe without those defects I'd get a 100Q instead of 'just' 98Q with it, eh?
But, the goal for today is to get the feedhorn & scalar tuned right... plus I think I'm still off a bit on polar.
As for question #2 -
My 10ft is a square aluminum tubing mesh dish just like the one in your photo.
I have no problem lifting it by myself, as long as there is no breeze. I would doubt that the dish itself weighs 50 lbs. The mount, feedhorn, etc MIGHT make it to 100lbs.
As far as the one in your photo... it can't weigh much - I don't think you'd have any problem with it - especially if you have one person helping.
Heck, I had my 12 year old helping me put the 10ft panels together - he could pick the dish up himself...

Replacement mesh

I just acquired the same dish (in pieces) with similar damage to some of the mesh. I'd like to replace the damaged pieces. Where can I buy some from ?

BTW, can anyone verify the specs for this dish ? Dia = 90", depth = 16", focal length = 31.6", f/d=0.35

Thanks.

"too much of a liability"

I called the owners today and asked them about it. They said it would be too much liabilty. Bull%#^ Seriously how many times have you opened the newspaper or seen on the 10 oclock news "Man crushed to death by satellite dish"

Now Im scewed I know where there is another dish but its stationary setup so thats out. (and they want $100 for it)

I have to keep my eyes peeled on fleabay for a used FS 6 footer.

unless someone on here has one for free that they could ship to me (have to be under $125)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)