Winegard vs Channel Master

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
In the event I can't find one I'll have to buy one.

Which brand is of a higher build quality (thickness of material etc) Winegard or Channel Master?

I have seen neither in person.

Greg Mueller said:
In the event I can't find one I'll have to buy one.

Which brand is of a higher build quality (thickness of material etc) Winegard or Channel Master?

I have seen neither in person.

Winegard is Made in USA from very high quality materials. Their masts are square aluminum tubes. John Winegard, Randy's (founder) son now runs the company in Burlington, Iowa.

Channel Master has been made in Taiwan and China for many many years. They use round tubes for the main beam. They steel components are known to rust sooner.

I've always prefer Winegard for antennas. I've had good luck with Channel Master amplifiers, though.

This, from a person, who has installed OTA antennas for over 40 years.
Made in USA on antennas is STILL better, in this case.

Both are 50 year old companies, both are well known manufacturers with good designs. About 4-5 years ago an agreement with DISH went bad for Channel Master( the bad CCS9601 LNBs) and Channel Master was bought out by Andrews. Winegard is probably a little better quality but both products will serve you well. Match your needs to their product line, CM4228 8 bay UHF antenna is probably the best for UHF but Winegard HD7084 is probably better for VHF/UHF fringe application. It will depend on your needs if you are 10-40 miles from broadcasters a Winegard Sensar may be all you need.

boba said:
Both are 50 year old companies, both are well known manufacturers with good designs. About 4-5 years ago an agreement with DISH went bad for Channel Master( the bad CCS9601 LNBs) and Channel Master was bought out by Andrews. Winegard is probably a little better quality but both products will serve you well. Match your needs to their product line, CM4228 8 bay UHF antenna is probably the best for UHF but Winegard HD7084 is probably better for VHF/UHF fringe application. It will depend on your needs if you are 10-40 miles from broadcasters a Winegard Sensar may be all you need.

The CM422 is one big ugly antenna with a big electro galvanized screen made from a farmer's fence. I've seen many rusted old ones.

Like Boba said, I am fortunate in my DMA that the Sensar works great, since most channels are within 40 degrees in one direction. The signals have improved so much in the last few years that we are now using the unamplified model with great success.

Forget what you heard that UHF is all you'll need. Orignally, all OTA HD was to migrate to UHF. Not true, NOW! OTA is giving up UHF channels 51-69. So, after Feb 17, 2009, a lot of UHF HD will migrate back to VHF.

So, unless you want a short term answer to OTA, don't overlook VHF capability. Dealers and installers don't care. It means MORE business for them.

Mike500 said:
The CM422 is one big ugly antenna with a big electro galvanized screen made from a farmer's fence. I've seen many rusted old ones.

Like Boba said, I am fortunate in my DMA that the Sensar works great, since most channels are within 40 degrees in one direction. The signals have improved so much in the last few years that we are now using the unamplified model with great success.

Forget what you heard that UHF is all you'll need. Orignally, all OTA HD was to migrate to UHF. Not true, NOW! OTA is giving up UHF channels 51-69. So, after Feb 17, 2009, a lot of UHF HD will migrate back to VHF.

So, unless you want a short term answer to OTA, don't overlook VHF capability. Dealers and installers don't care. It means MORE business for them.

I begg to differ.... I have heard no one complain about uhf... Infact I belive UHF is here to stay.. After all in my area there are about 30 OTA staions alone.. and the ones people cant get are VHF. after all ask all the people in the Chicago land area who cant get CBS (WBBM-DT) on Low VHF channel 3. I bet you will find that atleast half cant get it reliably. Lets also try WWTO digital channel 10 in the chicago area. No one I know can get that channel also unless there less than 5 miles from the transmitter.

Greg Mueller said:
Ooops
Forgot to mention I am looking for 90cm and 1 meter dishes
Be more specific you maybe better off asking your question in the Mpeg2/FTA forum that sized dish is more common there.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)