Wing Dish 1000 w/I-adapter & DP single - Would this work?

HDinTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Would it be possible to use an original Dish 1000 w/I-adapter and a DP single LNBF as a wing dish to yield more signal from the 61.5 or 129 sat than using a Dish 500 with the same setup?

Since the original 1000 has a W bracket, an I bracket isn't necessary since you can put a centered LNB in the 119 slot. Should be a bit more gain.

Since the original 1000 has a W bracket, an I bracket isn't necessary since you can put a centered LNB in the 119 slot. Should be a bit more gain.

A little bit, but you have to remember, if you use a bracket designed for more than one sat location, it changes the amount of focal points on the dish. This defeats the purpose of the larger dish, as the gain is no different. Just like when you use a Y bracket on a 500 and one dual vs. an I bracket and one dual.

A little bit, but you have to remember, if you use a bracket designed for more than one sat location, it changes the amount of focal points on the dish. This defeats the purpose of the larger dish, as the gain is no different. Just like when you use a Y bracket on a 500 and one dual vs. an I bracket and one dual.

What's the difference between using the center slot of a W bracket and an I bracket. Think about it.

If results with 1000 dish are not satisfactory, you can use a 24" round.

It has yielded excellent results for me. Google '24" antenna "D" type'.

Good luck.

I went down this road with disappointing results a while back. Since 129 was sketchy on my 1000.2, I figured I would buy the W bracket and use only the center position to grab 129 (not realizing the gain would be no better). When I discovered the lack of improvement I started some trial and error to figure out why I was not seeing an improvement.

To make a long story short, I discovered that a D500 with I-bracket got better gain than a 1000.2 using the center position of the W bracket. Aside from the focal point issue mentioned above, I believe the fact that the 1000.2 is actually smaller than the D500 (on the vertical axis) contributed to the results.

So, my spare parts supply continues to grow as I slowly but surely purge my ignorance! ;)

Last edited:
I went down this road with disappointing results a while back. Since 129 was sketchy on my 1000.2, I figured I would buy the W bracket and use only the center position to grab 129 (not realizing the gain would be no better). When I discovered the lack of improvement I started some trial and error to figure out why I was not seeing an improvement.

To make a long story short, I discovered that a D500 with I-bracket got better gain than a 1000.2 using the center position of the W bracket. Aside from the focal point issue mentioned above, I believe the fact that the 1000.2 is actually smaller than the D500 (on the vertical axis) contributed to the results.

So, my spare parts supply continues to grow as I slowly but surely purge my ignorance! ;)

Red,

Are you still using the 500 w/ I bracket for 129? It looks like I'll be heading back to Corpus from Seattle and would like to pick up 129 for FSN SW. I plan to bring my 24" dish from up here just in case.

Miner

Miner,

After peaking 129 I was able to get a good signal. However, with the "wobble" of 129, that signal would steadily deteriorate down to 0 for a few minutes before gradually climbing out of the hole. I didn't keep my notes, but my recollection was that the signal was pretty good for about 90% of the cycle (of the wobble), but I just couldn't get the low end to stay locked.

So, I went back to my default 110/119 D500 with a D500 and I-bracket for 61.5. I would prefer to use a single dish, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. Maybe Eastern Arc will help!

The 24" dish might work for you, but I'm pretty sure anything less will not from my location.

Red,

Thanks for the info (I should have looked at your signature line). When Dish set me up with the larger dish it helped to the point I'd only lose a few of the voom channels for a minute or so ever half hour. I think I'll be pointing at 61.5 also. I do have a DPP44 and several extra DP Twins. Perhaps I'll go for 129 and 61.5.

Oddly, I don't seem to have issues with low signal on the wobble anymore. I'm not sure it is better weather up here or perhaps Dish started boosting signal to all the transponders as the amount of HD increased. When a niche market, one can put up with periodic signal loss. When competing with DirectV, its easy to pick up the phone and change.

Dish's multiple lnb dishes are "detuned" in the horizonal plane to create a larger focal point (one that covers 2 or 3 lnbs not just 1).

This results in lower signal to each lnb and thus necessitates a larger reflector.

That larger reflector will not give you better signal on 1 lnb, because it is designed to give normal reception on multiple lnbs, not stronger signal on 1 lnb.

To get higher gain you must use a larger single lnb dish.

You might find a spot, further from the dish surface, that might have a little bit more gain, but while you gain it in the horizonal plane, you begin losing it in the vertical plane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)