wing dish explanation?

akgarrett62

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Cookeville, TN
i am on eastern arc, but Nashville locals run off of western arc satellite. I've searched for what the wing dish is...but can someone help me "get it"?

actually setting up a different dish next to the current one pointed at western arc?

how would that "tie in" with the coax from current dish?

i don't have LOS to western arc, so i'm kind of screwed on setting up a dish pointed that way.

tks for help.

The Nashville locals are on 129 and also on 61.5. You should already be able to receive the Nashville locals....

i am on eastern arc, but Nashville locals run off of western arc satellite. I've searched for what the wing dish is...but can someone help me "get it"?

actually setting up a different dish next to the current one pointed at western arc?

how would that "tie in" with the coax from current dish?

i don't have LOS to western arc, so i'm kind of screwed on setting up a dish pointed that way.

tks for help.

It would be a Dish 500 with either a single or dual LNB. The antenna can be located anywhere you need it to be located to get line-of-sight. It doesn't have to be next to the existing 1000.4. You would then run a cable from that "wing dish" back to your 1000.4 LNB IN port or to an external switch if you're using one of those from some reason.

well that stinks...i really don't want to set up another dish, especially since i'd have to install it all the way on the other side of the yard. No Way im doing all of that. and, then again, I still may not have LOS at any part of the yard.

Yeah I am just a bit too far east for that spotbeam on 61.5.

Do the spotbeams ever "expand" their current land area?

well that stinks...i really don't want to set up another dish, especially since i'd have to install it all the way on the other side of the yard. No Way im doing all of that. and, then again, I still may not have LOS at any part of the yard.

Yeah I am just a bit too far east for that spotbeam on 61.5.

Do the spotbeams ever "expand" their current land area?

They can pump up the power to the transponder which can help, but the EA sats are long in the tooth and somewhat power-challenged. You could put up a larger antenna for 61.5 (a 30 incher maybe, see Winegard) and foil over the 61.5 LNB on your 1000.4. Or wait a couple years until E* gets some new sats up for the eastern arc. Their beam placement will be better for the DMAs served. I'd get hold of an old dish somone is getting rid of or at a garage sale or maybe eBay, install a dual or single LNB on it and set it up where I thought I had LOS for 129. But I like doing that kind of stuff. It's pretty easy to bury cable in the sod to hide it in getting back to the 1000.4.

will a dish signal amplifier help in receiving the signal from that EA spotbeam?

I occasionally can p/u the signal and get local HD channels from that EA spotbeam.

will a dish signal amplifier help in receiving the signal from that EA spotbeam?

I occasionally can p/u the signal and get local HD channels from that EA spotbeam.

Atmospherics are probably helping out from time to time. I doubt amplification will be a fulltime problem solver. You could put up a larger dish for 61.5 and feed that back into the 1000.4. Have you contacted E* about the problem. Maybe they can find a LOS for 129 and replace the 1000.4 with a 1000.2 or put up a 129 wing dish.

what is the difference from 1000.2 dish and the 1000.4?

the prob with wing dish is that it would be put on the other side of the yard about 100' ft away from current dish, so it's a long distance to run that cable from and i really am not trenching that.

Difference would the spacing between the sat locations and would determine which set of sats you need to use depending on the dish selected. Having a wing dish 100 ft away from the main dish is not a problem. Sat signals can travel that amount of distance with no significant loss of signal.

what is the difference from 1000.2 dish and the 1000.4?

the prob with wing dish is that it would be put on the other side of the yard about 100' ft away from current dish, so it's a long distance to run that cable from and i really am not trenching that.

1000.2 is the western arc antenna for 110/119/129. 1000.4 is the eastern arc antenna for 61.5/72.7/77. If you don't want to do the work yourself, call E*. They handle the LOS issues for you. It may be the case there is nothing to be done if you don't have LOS to 129. They probably shouldn't have put up a 1000.4 if you can't get your locals with it. As for trenching 100 feet of cable, that takes about 30 minutes unless the ground is rock hard. It only needs to be under the top of the soil to prevent being mowed. You just raise one edge of the sod a bit with a spade or shovel, press the cable underneath, and tamp down with your foot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)