Wire Extension: Moving receiver to a new location

sbsi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
I want to move the dish receiver from upstairs to downstairs.

I notice there are two wires that is connected to the dish receiver. I have a duel 322 receiver. One wire is from the satellite dish, the other wire is from the wall.

Is it possible to split the two wires with coax cable en tension connectors and extend the other wire to a different location? If yes, how much picture quality will I lose???

Last edited:
First .. the signal to the receiver is digital ... other than "intermittent issues" you either have signal or you don't so there is no "degradation". Though there could be from the receiver to TV2 ... because that is an analog "broadcast" channel, but it is usually strong enough to push through more than 200 feet of coax.

If you already use the 322 for *two* Televisions ... then what happens is TV2's signal is probably coming out of the back of the receiver and going into the wall. The other option is for TV2's signal to piggy back over the same cable that comes in for the Satellite signal ... using "diplexers" (pair, one to put TV2 on the wire, one to take it off the wire).

*if* your intention is to move the 322 into the room that is currently serviced as TV2's room .. you just have to get the wiring right to where the 322 is now, and it will extend easily. Check out this diagram as a version of how most dual TV support systems are setup when using diplexers.

DishWiring.JPG

You can ignore TV3 if you want.. etc.. the important actions are happening on that "red" section of the cable inbetween a pair of diplexers.

If this doesn't match your setup .. you would need to see what else you have hooked up and where..

Last edited:
I have a new TV set in the living room (TV2). The TV2 signal and wiring in that room is very pixel and blurry at times. I connect a A/V wire to get a better signal and it looks better, but blurry on non-HD and without the stronger receiver TV1 signal. I am trying to move the TV1 from upstairs back down where I can hook up the new tv set with the Dish receiver.

If I don't want the TV2 anymore even when the duel 322 is for 2 TV, can I just extend the wire from TV1 (from the dish) and will I get any signal from TV1. That means I will only extend 1 wire instead of 2

Ok.. so if what you're saying is that the wire comes in .. goes to the receiver (coax) ... and then there is a Coax that went from the back of the receiver to TV2's location .. then yes, put a barrel connector on the Sat cable (disconnect from the DPP Separator), connect it to the cable that currently heads down to your TV2 ... and then move the receiver to the TV2 location .. unplug the coax from your TV and plug it into the "Separator" and you should be good to go.

The specs are 200' of RG6 from dish LNB to receiver. So long as you're within that range you shouldn't have an issue.

Be sure to high-pass rated (2.2 GHz or so, 3.0 is better/best) barrels/unions/couplings on the satellite signal from the LNB.

They should have blue cores, the red cores may work. My last install, 2 years ago or so, the tech would not do it without replacing all white cores even though they were working and had been working.

Any RG-6 should work. Try Monoprice.com. RG-6 is like RG-59 but with poly core replaced by foam and this means the center wire is larger to get 75 ohm impedance.

-Ken

Last edited:
Second Ken's MonoPrice.com recommendation..

a link to their RG6 cable ... scroll down to find the size you need..

Video Cables- <b>RG-6 (F) type</b>

one of the things about monoprice .. look at what you have and what you need now and in the future.. shipping is say 9 bucks on a 4 dollar cable .. but if you buy 8 or 10 cables and other items.. the shipping may only come to 12 bucks... so roughly adding 1 dollar to each item's cost.. rather than 1 or 2 items splitting the shipping at 4.50 each..

Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know after I get the wire and set things up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts