Wire repair and Hopper upgrade

bmuone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Our home has a VIP 222 and a VIP 722.
The 222 has two tv's on it.
The 722 has two tv's and two mirrowed tv's.
Each tv has it's own cable that runs form the tv to a outside box.
Last week three of the four second tv's on both units went fuzzy. The HD tv's on both receivers are still good.
Tech came out and replaced all the possible splitter and other connectors that might have gone bad. We believe the wiring to the three fuzzy tvs went bad. Very strange thing to happen on two different receivers on the same day.

Decided to upgrade to Hopper. Ordered One Hopper and three Joeys. Scheduled install tomorrow morning. Saturday.
Questions are:
1. If the three wires to the three fuzzy tv's need to be replaced, is that an additional cost at this time?
2. I understand that one hopper and three joey's will give me three tuners...so does that mean we can have only three different shows going at the same time or can we have four? (this is a grandkids, wife, sports thing). I might have needed two hoppers and two joeys.

I have had great assistance from DIRT before.
Thank you
Dayton

Mirroring to the 5th and 6th tv is not as simple with hopper/joey either. it can be done with the use of some type of modulating device. ch3 modulator or some rf modulator that allows you to set modulated channel or even a vcr with rca inputs could be a rough way to modulate out on ch 3. all of these choices mean using a second coax back to distribution pt outside. diplexers are not usable with hop/joey. adding another hopper and joey is 99 up front and 14/mo to make tv5 and 6 independent.

I seriously doubt 3 lines went bad at the same time, unless you were hit by lightening.
However, if they are bad, they should have been replaced by the tech that was just there.
Did he run a test line to any of the tvs to confirm?
They might have to be run differently if they are in the walls.

If you want 4 tuners, you will need 2 hoppers and at least 2 joeys.

Not neglecting anyone...just got side tracked. Thanks for your help. I took your advise and switched to 2hoppers and 2joeys. Four HD tv's and one mirrored tv. We'll be losing one tv in extra bedroom. It is $100 per hopper upfront and extra to the installer for the mirror job. Install tomorrow. Second tech switched some connectors outside and then did something with the tv remotes inside. I was ever so glad that it was not the wiring that went bad. Everything now works ok....at least until tomorrow. Now, if I can just get my dentist back to work to take out this blamed bad tooth. Tks again.

all of these choices mean using a second coax back to distribution pt outside.

Not necessarily true. I am back feeding a TV off of one of my Joeys. I did it by using a channel 3 modulator, but I just sent it right up the same line using a splitter on both ends. All it did is drop the signal ~8 db to the Joey, but that didn't seem to hurt anything. It definitely is much more difficult than with what you have now, but not impossible. The bigger problem might be that the UHF remotes on Joeys aren't designed to work form very far away and there is no way to remote locate the antenna (a common fix for large distances between receiver and "tv2").

MoCA, the technology the Joeys communicate to the Hopper with, runs above 500 MHz. Channel 3 is 61.25 MHz, so no conflict there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)