Wireless bridge on a Joey, will it work?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Will a wireless bridge work on a joey meant to be hardwired? When I say wireless bridge what I am meaning is an ethernet cord connected to a joey connected to a device that wirelessly transmits signal to the router.

What I am meaning is to get the programming from the hopper . I am NOT referring to an internet connection for on demand content. Basically I would do this instead of getting a wireless Joey which would not have the option of hard wired at all.

You can do that with a wifi adapter as well, although unsupported, it does have to go through the router for it to work.

There are very cheap routers on the market which support bridging. For example TP-Link TL-WR841N, costs less than 20 $. I have installed couple of then (one for me and another one for friend of mine), they work great and have much more possibilities than USB wifi adapter.

From what I have seen, only the dish wifi adapter will work for dish equipment. The receivers won't even recognize others(there are always exceptions, but I think there are extremely slim pickings on this one)

There are very cheap routers on the market which support bridging. For example TP-Link TL-WR841N, costs less than 20 $. I have installed couple of then (one for me and another one for friend of mine), they work great and have much more possibilities than USB wifi adapter.
But it's also a lot more clutter with another power adapter and box to deal with.

If you also need connectivity for other wired devices, then a bridge is great, but for just a Joey the USB adapter is as simple and clean as can be.

That would work great for extending the range of my internet as well if need be. I didnt want to be limited to range with built in antenna the wireless joey has and i may go 5 ghz for more bandwidth and less interference.

That would work great for extending the range of my internet as well if need be. I didnt want to be limited to range with built in antenna the wireless joey has and i may go 5 ghz for more bandwidth and less interference.
The adapter is dual band, but if a bridge makes sense otherwise, go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts