Wireless Connection Kit Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dks1957

Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Corpus Christi
Hi All,

I recently installed a wireless connection kit to my system. I have one HR24/500 that feeds into my receiver. As soon as I installed it, my picture quality deteriorated. DIRECTV has come out and tested everything and says there are no problems with their equipment. I even had Geek Squad from Best Buy come out to make sure there were no problems with my TV or receiver (there weren't). I've deinstalled the wireless connection kit and put back everything the way it was and still my TV picture is inferior to what it was. The tech that DIRECTV sent out is working with me, but he doesn't seem to know what is going on. I'm a 59 year old woman who has had DIRECTV for about 20 years and have always appreciated my crystal clear picture. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions to remedy this problem. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know what 'recs' is. I'm not too tech savvy! If you mean receiver, I have a Denon AVR-S510BT. The only thing my friend and I did when we installed the connection kit was to unplug my 6-outlet power surge protector and plug everything into another power surge protector I had with more outlets (needed 7) laying around. All other components worked fine, so I don't think it was the different surge protector. Nonetheless, I went out and got a new, better one. It didn't make a difference. The DIRECTV tech has offered to come back on his off day and put in a new satellite dish (very nice). Maybe this will work as my current dish is 18 yrs. old.

That's the problem most likely if u have a old dish it doesn't get HD and you really need a slimline dish so u can get hd

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

That's the problem most likely if u have a old dish it doesn't get HD and you really need a slimline dish so u can get hd

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
Not really ....

If the picture was fine with the HR24 with the old dish and a Wireless Connection kit was added and the picture went to hell, it's not the dish.
If she has an old 18x24 dish probably and they put a Slimline dish in, thats all good and dandy because then she can use the newer equipment, however thats not why the issue came up.
The dish should not have anything to do with the Picture quality before and after. Now if she has Standard Def now and goes to High Def thats another story, but I don't think thats the issue here.
I think maybe a connection from the D* reciever to the TV is the issue.

DKS, do you have High Def signal on your account ?
Also, what do other inputs on your TV show ? Do you have an Over the Air antenna, a DVD player or any thing like that ?
If so, turn one of them on and does the picture look great like it should ?
If it doesn't look like it did prior to you changing / adding the Wireless kit, something is up with the TV.
If it's only the Directv input, then I would think a connection (hdmi probably has a bad connection), the Directv IS set up on an HDMI input correct ?

I have HD and am paying for it... It doesn't look to me like I'm getting it now. When you say check other inputs to TV, do you mean into my receiver? How do I know if I have an over air antenna? Should I stream something on my DVD player or put in a DVD? Thanks.

Jimbo,

Streaming looked good to me. I don't own a DVD, but I'll borrow one tomorrow and see what that looks like. As far as I know, DIRECTV is set up on an HDMI input. I think you may be on to something saying a bad connection might be the problem, though I think the DIRECTV guy checked that...

One other thing you can try, if you have more 5han 1 Hdmi connection, try a different one ...
I have seen TV outputs go bad.

Well, the DIRECTV guy came and installed a new dish and box and the picture is still not the same as it was before I installed - and then deinstalled - the wireless connection kit. I was hoping that might solve the problem, but it didn't. Jimbo, I will check and see if my receiver has another HDMI input (not sure it does) and try that. It's hard for me to pull everything out and get down on my knees (torn meniscus) but I'll give it a shot!

Well, the DIRECTV guy came and installed a new dish and box and the picture is still not the same as it was before I installed - and then deinstalled - the wireless connection kit. I was hoping that might solve the problem, but it didn't. Jimbo, I will check and see if my receiver has another HDMI input (not sure it does) and try that. It's hard for me to pull everything out and get down on my knees (torn meniscus) but I'll give it a shot!
Change the hdmi on the TV input, the recvr only has 1 .

my opinion - the wireless connection is a POS. My router PW was too long (I always use 32 characters). I shortened the PW then found out I had 2 special characters that the receiver can't use. So I changed the PW again. Every time I change the PW on my router, I need to change 3 PC's and 2 printers. When the wireless device finally connected, it removed my bedroom receiver from my whole home network. Took the wireless piece of crap out and threw in the junk pile.

Would I have had 1080p and am now getting 1080i and that's what I'm noticing? I know from what I've read there's apparently not much difference, but one of the places I notice the difference is watching live sporting events. I know I now have 1080i and may have had that all along. I'll switch out the HDMI tomorrow from my receiver to TV when the light is better but I'm not sure that's the problem because I'm getting too good a picture. Just not the sharpness I had before and, yeah, I've played around with the settings on my TV to try and fine tune it.

all broadcast TV tops out at 1080i, the only exception to that is the PPV channels (100-200 range) that are 1080p.

Jimbo,
The HDMI cord that plugs into my TV is bundled with other wires and from what I can tell goes through the wall (TV is wall mounted). When you say change the HDMI input, do you mean from my receiver to the HDR box?

My TV only has one HDMI output and I can't see where that's connected to the receiver at all. It goes through the wall... There's nothing hooked into the HDMI slot for TV on the receiver...

Could I possibly have a bad SWIM adaptor? When I originally hooked up the wireless connection kit, I had to connect into one (and when I disconnected, too). Streaming, as well as a regular DVD, doesn't look good either. My HDMI cord goes from my TV through the wall into the DIRECTV box (now an HR 200). Another HDMI cord goes from the Blu-ray into the receiver. I've got someone coming Mon. to check the HDMI cords but I'm not hopeful. My picture just isn't what it was.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts