Status
Please reply by conversation.

rhusak

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
conifer, CO
Hi All..
Just got off of the DirecTv site as I am looking to upgrade my home tv network.
When I went to the upgrade section it shows the "New" wireless Genie client available..
Does anyone know if this is true? This is what I really want to use in my motorhome!
? Ron Husak

I believe its available in some markets.. Sounds like your in one of those markets.
Bear in mind the wireless clients require a Genie to run and the Genie requires a SWM setup.

I believe its available in some markets.. Sounds like your in one of those markets.
Bear in mind the wireless clients require a Genie to run and the Genie requires a SWM setup.

Wow that would be great.. I am looking to install a Winegard SWM Trav'ler dish on the coach with a genie.. This would be slick! I could run my old cabling during the time when I was blocked by trees and use my carry out dish and the wireless all other times.. Sweet!
? Now I have to figure out how to get directv to give me the equipment.. I want one for the house too!
Ron

This my answer that I put in the other thread you started

*Alert* Correction,if you are talking about the Directv site,don't call as the CSR's can be unreliable in their answers,EMAIL them & you should get a more accurate answer. Make sure that you tell them where you live,as the answer given in the other thread you started was given to you,you might be in one of the test markets.

Roy..
? I saw that thanks.. Just wanted the rest of the group to know about this.. They may not look at a Motorhome question!

Just to be clear, what are you wanting to do wirelessly? From your posts you mention wireless when you can't run wires to a dish, the wireless Genie client is only wireless from a Genie( which is still connected to a SWiM dish by wire) to a C41W mini client.

Just to be clear, what are you wanting to do wirelessly? From your posts you mention wireless when you can't run wires to a dish, the wireless Genie client is only wireless from a Genie( which is still connected to a SWiM dish by wire) to a C41W mini client.

Rad..
I am looking to run the wireless networking in my motorhome.. Obviously stringing new cable there would be problematic! The coach has 4 TV's that would be in 3 zones.. Front and Mid coach, Bedroom and outside entertainment center. It might be that I would run the outside and bedroom together if I can control the outside TV by remote. Then it would only be 2 zones..
My set up is further complicated by the fact that I would like to be able to continue to have the option of running a Winegard carry out for those times I am parked blocked by trees. That is why Wireless would be advantageous.. I could run the wireless network for the majority of the time and the wired (Existing) cabling for the back up. I am installing a new Winegard Trav'ler on the coach.
I have had really difficult no impossible time finding an installer who even has a basic knowledge of how this would work. Forums such as this one have given me more knowledge than any technician I have run into!
? Ron

Rad..
My set up is further complicated by the fact that I would like to be able to continue to have the option of running a Winegard carry out for those times I am parked blocked by trees. That is why Wireless would be advantageous.. I could run the wireless network for the majority of the time and the wired (Existing) cabling for the back up. I am installing a new Winegard Trav'ler on the coach.

Ron, this is the part that I think your hoping too much for, there is no wireless between the receiving antenna and the Genie server, you'll still need to run a wire from the dish to the Genie, unless you're also planning to take the Genie server outsite also.

The wireless Genie client setup still requires a wired connection from the satellite dish to the HR34/HR44 Genie. There is then a Wireless Video Bridge unit that's also connected to the same coax that is from the dish to the Genie. The WVB then supplies a wireless connection to the C41W Genie Mini clients which would be placed by the TV's. So for example you'd have the HR34/HR44 and the WVB in the mid section of your coach, with a coax line running from there to whatever dish you're using (which MUST be a SWiM setup, either via the LNB or external SWiM module). Then you can place a C41W mine Genie client at the other three TV locations that connect wirelessly back to the WVB.

Hope that helps.

Ron, this is the part that I think your hoping too much for, there is no wireless between the receiving antenna and the Genie server, you'll still need to run a wire from the dish to the Genie, unless you're also planning to take the Genie server outsite also.

The wireless Genie client setup still requires a wired connection from the satellite dish to the HR34/HR44 Genie. There is then a Wireless Video Bridge unit that's also connected to the same coax that is from the dish to the Genie. The WVB then supplies a wireless connection to the C41W Genie Mini clients which would be placed by the TV's. So for example you'd have the HR34/HR44 and the WVB in the mid section of your coach, with a coax line running from there to whatever dish you're using (which MUST be a SWiM setup, either via the LNB or external SWiM module). Then you can place a C41W mine Genie client at the other three TV locations that connect wirelessly back to the WVB.

Hope that helps.

Rad..
No I should have said I understand that a cable will have to go from the Dish to the the equipment.. I knew that.. Its from the Genie to everywhere else that the problem now lies..
Can you tell me... You mention an external swim module.. Will this convert my Carry Out signal to a swim signal so I could abandon my current cabling altogether?
Can't thank you enough for your help!
? Ron

Ron, if the dish you're using has four outputs on it now, for sats 99/101/103, then you can add a SWiM8, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...i-switch-with-power-supply-(8-channel)-(swm-8) and used the existing LNB. Or if you can replace the LNB with a SWiM LNB like http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...built-in-multiswitch-(sl3-swm)&sku=8546300073. Either way the Genie (HR34 or HR44) MUST be connected to the dish using SWiM.

If you can do that, and be able to install the WVB on that coax feed then I would think the wireless clients will work for you. But like all things wireless depending on what's between the WVB and the clients might prevent them from working properly.

Just to throw it out there (In case the question was about to come up), the range of the Wireless clients is 80 ft and 5 walls (depending on material of walls). So the signal strength from the WVB to the client is pretty strong. (WVB= Wireless Video Bridge, for those unfamiliar with the term).

Just to throw it out there (In case the question was about to come up), the range of the Wireless clients is 80 ft and 5 walls (depending on material of walls). So the signal strength from the WVB to the client is pretty strong. (WVB= Wireless Video Bridge, for those unfamiliar with the term).

Well it's a 40 foot coach.. But it would only be about 25 feet to the furthest client.. And maybe 2 walls... The inside walls are just wood and dry wall.. Or something like that.. I don't think anything more exotic. The one outside is maybe 10 feet and it has an aluminium frame and thin luan and fiberglass shell..
I have no difficulty with wireless tire monitors or walkie talkies.. or such..
? Ron

Ron, if the dish you're using has four outputs on it now, for sats 99/101/103, then you can add a SWiM8, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...i-switch-with-power-supply-(8-channel)-(swm-8) and used the existing LNB. Or if you can replace the LNB with a SWiM LNB like http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...built-in-multiswitch-(sl3-swm)&sku=8546300073. Either way the Genie (HR34 or HR44) MUST be connected to the dish using SWiM.

If you can do that, and be able to install the WVB on that coax feed then I would think the wireless clients will work for you. But like all things wireless depending on what's between the WVB and the clients might prevent them from working properly.

Rad..
No it only has two outputs The Carry Out I mean.. As I said this is way too complicated.. I just want it all to work..
It also sounds like having 2 accounts may be WAY too expensive.. Plus I wouldn't have the options I carry on my home account..
So maybe no Genie for the house... At least till they allow more than one on an account..
The wireless is much more important to me on the coach.. AS with the current wiring I can't do anything I want to do! And it is a spaghetti factory at video switch..
The Previous Owner really put 4 beautiful HD flat screens in last year but can really only take advantage of them when watching a DVD.. Otherwise they probably look worse than SD because of their size..
Man I wish this weren't so complex!
? Ron

Rad..
No it only has two outputs The Carry Out I mean.. As I said this is way too complicated.. I just want it all to work..
It also sounds like having 2 accounts may be WAY too expensive.. Plus I wouldn't have the options I carry on my home account..
So maybe no Genie for the house... At least till they allow more than one on an account..
The wireless is much more important to me on the coach.. AS with the current wiring I can't do anything I want to do! And it is a spaghetti factory at video switch..
The Previous Owner really put 4 beautiful HD flat screens in last year but can really only take advantage of them when watching a DVD.. Otherwise they probably look worse than SD because of their size..
Man I wish this weren't so complex!
? Ron

Well I went to both Winegard and DirecTv today.. By phone I mean..
Winegard says that yes, I can use my carry out with their SWIM 8 "splitter" it will convert the signal to SWIM which can then be used by the Genie and it's clients..
Was also recommended to just "Carry Out" the equipment from the house to use.. I am in a "Test" market.. (Denver) so the C41W is available here.. Only hang up now is I have to wait till November 14th for my upgrade date.. The rep said she can't promise but is quite sure it will be free to me then.. The Genie and wireless clients..
I think with that and the new Trav'ler I just ordered I will be a happy camper...
? Ron

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts