Wireless Internet to HR20-700

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
It seems as if these new Internet features on the HD-DVR are making it necessary to supply my receiver with high speed Internet. This new DVR scheduler looks like pretty cool feature. I would like this capability. I would also like to use some of the on-demand stuff.

I am going to have to do this wirelessly as there is no way for me to run a cable from my router to my DVR. I currently use a Linksys Wireless G WRT54G router with WPA security to supply my home with wireless Internet access.

Can someone please tell me which product(s) I can use as a wireless adapter to supply my receiver with high speed Internet. I know that only certain wireless adapter will work for these receivers. I am just not sure which ones I can use. I was wondering if someone could tell me my options here.

Also, I would rather not use those wall plug devices as that is not convenient for me at all. I would much rather use a wireless adapter.

I plan on going to Best Buy or Circuit City this evening to purchase the wireless device that I need sometime today. I just want to be sure that I am purchasing something that will work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! This forum is the best.

The DVR Scheduler does not require a connection to the DVR, just your computer or cell phone. On Demand or Media Share require an ethernet connection, however. You will need a wireless-ethernet bridge or a wireless gaming adapter. There is a good (although probably not complete) list of suitable adapters in this thread on DBSTalk.

I use a Apple Airport Express. This should work with your Linksys wireless router. You can extend your wireless network to this and hook up the DVR. It works great. It has very good download speeds for VOD.

I use the Linksys Wireless Gaming Adaptor, WGA54G, available at Best Buy and numerous other places. Set it for fixed IP and you're in business!

I don't like the idea of putting 85 Mb/s over the powerlines in my house because power lines aren't meant for that and radiate causing some electromagnetic interference in the HF bands.

I don't like the idea of putting 85 Mb/s over the powerlines in my house because power lines aren't meant for that and radiate causing some electromagnetic interference in the HF bands.

The power levels radiated are so small that they are imperceptable except to the most sensitive measurement equipment. They wouldn't pass FCC certification otherwise.

I use the Linksys Wireless Gaming Adaptor, WGA54G, available at Best Buy and numerous other places. Set it for fixed IP and you're in business!

The HomePlug implementation filters out the ham bands: http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/files/HomePlug_ARRL_Dec_2000.pdf.

I have not been able to detect any increase in noise with HomePlug 1.0 Turbo devices. My HF antenna is a multiband vertical mounted next to the house at roof level, within 10 feet of the power wiring..

Bob (N7XY)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)