Wireless joey 4 = crap

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
After months of trying to get dish to install this, I finally went up the ladder and got the OK. Today was install day and is a complete failure. The tech and his trainee didn't know as much as I did. Had to tell them to down load the atv files to both hws. They argued didn't need too. At one point one hws showed no joey software. So he did the forced upgrade and went to next appointment. I then downloaded the atv files. Same problem as before can't access recordings of both hws. Also noticed no caller ID on wj4, no format option of SD programming. Totally disappointed. Got get tech back here and just go with 2 wireless Joey's. At least everything worked properly. Will say the 4k you tube looked great. Oh yea, the tech called from one of his later appointments to ask if anything changed. Told him still the same, he said good luck.

After months of trying to get dish to install this, I finally went up the ladder and got the OK. Today was install day and is a complete failure. The tech and his trainee didn't know as much as I did. Had to tell them to down load the atv files to both hws. They argued didn't need too. At one point one hws showed no joey software. So he did the forced upgrade and went to next appointment. I then downloaded the atv files. Same problem as before can't access recordings of both hws. Also noticed no caller ID on wj4, no format option of SD programming. Totally disappointed. Got get tech back here and just go with 2 wireless Joey's. At least everything worked properly. Will say the 4k you tube looked great. Oh yea, the tech called from one of his later appointments to ask if anything changed. Told him still the same, he said good luck.
There's no caller ID an a Wireless Joey, either, is there?
As for the SD formatting, how many SD channels do you watch?

And lastly, we told you it was specifically to have AndroidOS/Google TV so you could stream with any app but you kept insisting you had to have one.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes the wireless joey has caller ID. I would have thought moving up to 4k, the unit would at least have the same features. Should have known better with dish. Also when turn wj4 on it opens with an app screen instead of the last channel watched. Again something the hws and old wj do. Lastly, yes you did warn that wj4 that it was for streaming, but was said to work with hws, which it does poorly.

Yes the wireless joey has caller ID. I would have thought moving up to 4k, the unit would at least have the same features. Should have known better with dish. Also when turn wj4 on it opens with an app screen instead of the last channel watched. Again something the hws and old wj do. Lastly, yes you did warn that wj4 that it was for streaming, but was said to work with hws, which it does poorly.
It doesn't work poorly, its a different receiver with different features that just isn't what you were wanting or expecting.

Yes the wireless joey has caller ID. I would have thought moving up to 4k, the unit would at least have the same features. Should have known better with dish. Also when turn wj4 on it opens with an app screen instead of the last channel watched.
Again, for the umpteenth time, it has AndroidOS/GoogleTV as an OS. It's NOT the Hopper Carbon UI. This is well posted on here in multiple threads. Your "should known better with Dish" comment is ridiculous, YOU should have known better because YOU were told over and over exactly what you'd get with a Wireless Joey 4. Not having caller ID - which is barely supported anymore - SD Aspect options - which are the LEAST channels watched and BTW, SD programming is native 4:3 so I don't know what the complaint is and a different OS doesn't mean "it works poorly". YOU just want it to be something other than what it is

Again, for the umpteenth time, it has AndroidOS/GoogleTV as an OS. It's NOT the Hopper Carbon UI. This is well posted on here in multiple threads. Your "should known better with Dish" comment is ridiculous, YOU should have known better because YOU were told over and over exactly what you'd get with a Wireless Joey 4. Not having caller ID - which is barely supported anymore - SD Aspect options - which are the LEAST channels watched and BTW, SD programming is native 4:3 so I don't know what the complaint is and a different OS doesn't mean "it works poorly". YOU just want it to be something other than what it is
Wrong.... no one every said that it did not have same general feature as a 10 year old version. If you were driving a Ford pinto that had power windows as standard and you moved up to a Lincoln, wouldn't you expect it have power windows standard too. Sure you would or at least I would. Does h3 support caller ID, bet it does.

Wrong.... no one every said that it did not have same general feature as a 10 year old version. If you were driving a Ford pinto that power windows as standard and you moved up to a Lincoln, wouldn't you expect it have power windows too. Sure you would or at least I would. Does h3 support caller ID, bet it does.
A Hopper 3 has a different OS and a plug for a Phone chord. Wallys and Hopper Duos do not because Dish is phasing out that ability. MOST people don't have landlines anymore so it's not worth the cost. Frankly, unless you have a medical condition, I can't think of a single reason to keep a landline, especially these days when they're nothing but inundated with spam calls.

For some people you have to have a landlines to get internet service with the phone company, especially in the rural areas.

When watching tnt or ESPN, is the pictur still 1080i with the wj4 or is is converted to 4k?

For some people you have to have a landlines to get internet service with the phone company, especially in the rural areas.

When watching tnt or ESPN, is the pictur still 1080i with the wj4 or is is converted to 4k?
Most actual channels are only going to be 720p, but from what info I have and my own experience, no it does not not upscale.

Most actual channels are only going to be 720p, but from what info I have and my own experience, no it does not not upscale.

Are you sure that the Joey 4 and wireless Joey 4 only output 720P? I don’t own a Joey 4 but I believe that the normal video resolution can be set to 480P, 720P, or 1080P and it will output 4K when tuned to a 4K channel. I know my Joey 3 output can be set to 480P, 720P, or 1080P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caller ID works well on both of my Hopper3 receivers and it works well on my Joey3.
Try the following steps to diagnose caller ID
1) Make sure your phone line is plugged into your Hopper3 receiver.
2) Click the Home button 3 times and select Status from the list.
3) Select Send Status and Test Connections
4) Does your Phone show up as Detected
5) If your phone is not detected that is the problem.
6) if your phone is detected Go to Settings and Select Notifications.
7) Make sure that Caller ID is turned On.

Are you sure that the Joey 4 and wireless Joey 4 only output 720P? I don’t own a Joey 4 but I believe that the normal video resolution can be set to 480P, 720P, or 1080P and it will output 4K when tuned to a 4K channel. I know my Joey 3 output can be set to 480P, 720P, or 1080P.

The joey4s don't let you manually change. But it's still.only going to output whatever the program is outputting. So if it's a 720p channel it's going to be 720p on your TV screen too. But if you are watching through an app using 4k then it will display in 4k

I have never seen caller ID function on my H3.
It's there, just that's not turned on by default...

Home button 2x then Settings then Notifications and you will get a Notification Settings screen with:

Shared Viewing
Remote Control Mode Reminder
MOCA Status Icon
Caller ID
TV Enhancements

When you press the Home button 2x, you will even see Caller ID History as a icon even if the setting for Caller ID above is off.

The joey4s don't let you manually change. But it's still.only going to output whatever the program is outputting. So if it's a 720p channel it's going to be 720p on your TV screen too. But if you are watching through an app using 4k then it will display in 4k
again, this is something that I don't understand, why take "features" away from products that are supposed to be up the food chain. Caller ID, allowing the customer to choose the output resolution, the screen format.....how much could they have saved by removing these features? I know that I am old fashioned, but not against change, as long as it is an improvement. But after all of the effort I went through to get the wj4, I have to say that I am disapointed. The wife & I like the caller ID feature, just like we like having a land line. The wj4 even makes the soundbar act differently. Instead of displaying the audio signal that the station is usings, PCM, DD, etc., it now just shows the volume level. Just a lot of changes that weren't anticipated. Even the notifications screen as mentioned by Almighty above, most of those selections are missing as well.

Let's see if I can explain this correctly - The Joey 4 lineup is not a standard Joey.

Its basically a Virtual machine with emulation running on the Hopper itself. The Joey 4's are Android TV boxes that are running a DISH program which is pulling the DISH VIrtual Machine off the local network or moca network.

Because its emulating a dish receiver it does not have all the features that a real Joey has, you will notice in the settings screens a lot of things are missing as those settings are hard coded in the virtual machine code on the Hopper. Part of the reason for that is the Android system controls some of these settings such as screen resolution, even the data being sent by CEC to things like your soundbar.

I know its been tough with DISH working with Google getting these going as it was a learning experience for both of them in getting this working as well as it does.

I know there are things DISH wish their settings had control over but they don't. It's a dance for sure.

With that said I can see why you would miss features you were using, but for most folks they won't notice nor know that smoke and mirrors are being used to make this all work.

For me the Wireless Joey 4 is my favorite DISH receiver, its a swiss army knife for watching tv. Is it perfect? No. But it does keep getting better.