Wireless Joey problems - time to recable?

bworrall

Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
California
I have a wireless Joey at the far end of the house that gets a network connection quality rating (using their diagnostics) of ~ 20, but it regularly fluctuates down to ~10-12 leading to a horrible viewing experience. I've tried all of the obvious repositioning tricks but without much luck. I'm considering running a new coax cable directly from the bedroom back to the wiring box where the Dish switch is on the outside of our house - then replace the wireless Joey with a wired Joey. Is that doable?

I have a wireless Joey at the far end of the house that gets a network connection quality rating (using their diagnostics) of ~ 20, but it regularly fluctuates down to ~10-12 leading to a horrible viewing experience. I've tried all of the obvious repositioning tricks but without much luck. I'm considering running a new coax cable directly from the bedroom back to the wiring box where the Dish switch is on the outside of our house - then replace the wireless Joey with a wired Joey. Is that doable?
Sure it's do-able, but it's also a PITA to do that. Since your WJ is probably not the only wireless equipment that works poorly or not at all up there, you might instead consider a mesh network. My cable modem and wireless router used to be in my basement where the cable comes in. My H3 is there as well. But I never got very good service up two floors and over in the farthest bedroom. So I just gave up, bit the bullet, and spent actual money on an Orbi RBK-50. I selected that pair because the satellite allows for a wired backhaul. I put that in my center bedroom upstairs, and all our wireless issues just went away like magic.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)