Wireless Joey?

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
i think there may be a way to make the Joey wireless. there exists a MoCA to WiFi bridge. so... just put one at the Hopper and another at the Joey.

Last edited:
While it might be technically possible I dont believe it will ever be "officially" supported, just due to the QOS of a WIFI network. (Ask someone on UVERSE who has one... most have gone back to wired) :)

i think there may be a way to make the Joey wireless. there exists a MoCA to WiFi bridge. so... just put one at the Hopper and another at the Joey.

Dish's implementation of Moca is only as open as they wish it to be. Don't count on this working if they don't want it to.

While it might be technically possible I dont believe it will ever be "officially" supported, just due to the QOS of a WIFI network. (Ask someone on UVERSE who has one... most have gone back to wired) :)

I'm VERY forgiving of my tv viewing. when i was much younger, i used to watch scrambled adult tv (channel 20 in detroit) just for the challenge.

Dish's implementation of Moca is only as open as they wish it to be. Don't count on this working if they don't want it to.

i would think the bridges just take what they are given and pass it along. they take the packet of data, wrap it in a different package, transmit it. receive it, unwrap it and output it.
MoCA is just a transport mechanism, so in theory this should work.

i would think the bridges just take what they are given and pass it along. they take the packet of data, wrap it in a different package, transmit it. receive it, unwrap it and output it.
MoCA is just a transport mechanism, so in theory this should work.
Moca devices have to "join" the network. If Dish wants a "closed" moca system, they don't let the the unknown device join. Even if they let it join there are enough low level MAC/PHY functions they could probably discern it wasn't a direct connection from Joey to Hopper.

Not saying they will be this selective, just that they could.

From what I've read from those who attended the shows and various blog articles (that are relays of other blog articles that all end up having a single source), DISH is going to stick with the MoCA approach to the exclusion of other technologies. If this is true, they've got at least a partial fail on their hands.

They can install whatever works for them, but don't force artificial limits.

Ah, if only I had the time to keep a list of links of some of the more "out there" comments, to comment upon in a year's time!

yeah, it's a great idea to deliver across a clogged 2.4 ghz band or a shorter range 5.8 ghz band when you can't even control distance between the wireless radios nor the usable bandwidth.

That's a great way to move time sensitive data.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

yeah, it's a great idea to deliver across a clogged 2.4 ghz band or a shorter range 5.8 ghz band when you can't even control distance between the wireless radios nor the usable bandwidth.

That's a great way to move time sensitive data.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
Is it the best way? No. Is it good enough in many, if not most, home environments? Yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts