Wireless OTA Signal Transfer

ChuckBoozer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
South Carolina
This may be a crazy question, but is there any way to route/transfer a wireless OTA signal from the antenna to the receiver (ie. like a wireless computer home network)?

In other words, rather than running a coaxial line from my rooftop antenna to my STB, does the technology exist to have a "router" at the antenna position that transmits/transfers the OTA signal wirelessly to an adapter/hub connected to the STB?

Chuck,

Short answer: no. Since the TV band in the USA takes up three frequency bands, one (VHF-L) 36 MHz wide below the FM band, another (VHF-H) 48 MHz wide above mobile radio and aviation bands, and the final one (UHF) 336 MHz wide above that, to take all of that spectrum and transmit it wirelessly would take over 400 MHz of bandwidth at some other frequency. It "could" be done, but I don't believe any of the consumer bands in the multi-GHz bands permit the use of that much bandwidth.

If you moved your STB receiver to a location where you had the coax feed available, then there are options for sending a signal to your TV. You can see the CES 2007 coverage for Scott's report on one that will even do HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts