Wireless OTA?

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
Normally to receive HD OTA one would put up the appropriate antenna then connect it to the Dish receiver via coax.

Just wondering if there was a way do accomplish this wirelessly. Does anyone know of any equipment that you could use to do this?

I assume you would need a (powered) component at the antenna that would wirelessly transmit to another component at the receiver which would be connected via coax to the receiver.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the replies but I don't think the previous topic actually covers my needs here. I was just trying to appease the wife with respect to drilling more holes in the wall. I guess I'll have to drill one more hole after all and run coax directly from the HD antenna to the 622.

Thanks for the replies but I don't think the previous topic actually covers my needs here. I was just trying to appease the wife with respect to drilling more holes in the wall. I guess I'll have to drill one more hole after all and run coax directly from the HD antenna to the 622.
Why not just diplex it on your existing coax?:)

Diplex it? I was under the impression that the coax from an OTA HD antenna needed to go into the connection the 622 provides in order for OTA HD channels to be detected.

Diplex it? I was under the impression that the coax from an OTA HD antenna needed to go into the connection the 622 provides in order for OTA HD channels to be detected.
To use a diplexor, you would need a pair. One diplexor would go outside and connect the antenna to one side and the satellite wire to the other. Then inside, you would hook the wire to the single side of the diplexor, and then run short coax lines to the separator (if you use one) or the sat input on the box and the other to the OTA input on the 622.

Geoff

Thanks GNASH,

So basically a diplexer is used to combine the signals from the dish and the antenna then split them apart prior to connecting to the 622. Can I assume the diplexers sold at the Dish store (Eagle Aspen/ASKA Diplexer) will work? They're only $5 each. I am using a separator. I currently have 2 coax wires coming off of the dish that ends up in a wiring cabinet where there are several splitter/combiners. Then one coax goes to the 622 into a separator. I'll have to think about this for a while.

Some report that there is an unacceptable loss of signal (mostly OTA) with diplexers but at all my digital receivers my signal strengths for all channels are withina few points---or identical. they are worth a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts