wireless- receiver to LNB?

robert6715

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
Afognak island
Does anybody make a wireless device to go inbetween a dishpro receiver and your dish? I live in Alaska and up here we are soo far north that our elevation angle is only 13 deg. There is a large mountain right where I need to point my dish. In order to get over the horizon my dish is 650 feet from my receiver. Straight run of RG11. I already have a power inserter (Sonora PAL 20). Because of the long run I often suffer signal loss. Especialy on the lower even numbered transponders (6,8,10). When my internet satelite was set up, it was set up wirelessly because of the long run, and it works great. I live remote and it is crazy expensive to get a tech out here.

Any help would be appreciated. Rob

As far as I know, no; short of setting up the reciever within the 200' range & setting up a wireless video transmitter from the box to your tv.

Build a shack or equipment shed by your dish, and install the receiver there. Then use a wireless device to transmit back to your house, or even use audio/video cables so you can also use a remote repeater device for changing channels and such. You wouldn't need long Rg-11 then...

Does anybody make a wireless device to go inbetween a dishpro receiver and your dish? I live in Alaska and up here we are soo far north that our elevation angle is only 13 deg. There is a large mountain right where I need to point my dish. In order to get over the horizon my dish is 650 feet from my receiver. Straight run of RG11. I already have a power inserter (Sonora PAL 20). Because of the long run I often suffer signal loss. Especialy on the lower even numbered transponders (6,8,10). When my internet satelite was set up, it was set up wirelessly because of the long run, and it works great. I live remote and it is crazy expensive to get a tech out here.

Any help would be appreciated. Rob

I've been looking for a good wireless solution for a while myself. Haven't found any so far probably due to the vast spectrum that is carried through the RG11 and / or because of the lack of Market need.

Any thing else I can do to help with signal loss over a long run? Adding inline amplifier seems to make it worse. Is there a more powerfull power inserter than the Sonora PAL 20 I have now?

Thanks Rob

Did you install that amp at the antenna end, or the receiver end?
I wasnt sure where to put it. Right now the RG11 has one break midway where the power inserter is at. I placed one at the receiver and no signal at all as if the amp was blocking the signal, same thing when I placed it at the LNB. Thought maybe it was bad so borowed one from friend and same thing.Yes I installed it correctly.

Thanks Rob

I wasnt sure where to put it. Right now the RG11 has one break midway where the power inserter is at. I placed one at the receiver and no signal at all as if the amp was blocking the signal, same thing when I placed it at the LNB. Thought maybe it was bad so borowed one from friend and same thing.Yes I installed it correctly.
Thanks Rob
The amplifier must be next to the LNB not by the receiver. You want the amplifier to be at the point where signal to noise ratio is the highest.

Last edited:
The amplifier must be next to the LNB not by the receiver. You want the amplifier to be at the point where signal to noise ratio is the highest.
Thanks for the clarification. You seem to be in the know, So I hope you dont mind me asking how would you set up my Instalation. This is the only "booster" I have http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...lifier-w/-12v-power-source-(pal20-t)&more=yes installed now. 5' foot dish, Dish pro plus LNB, Dishpro plus receiver, DPP33 Switch at the receiver, 350' RG11 between receiver and the Sonora PAL20, another 300' between Sonora PAL20 and LNB. I have two of these setups. One for 119 west, One for 110 west. I have a couple of these http://www.satpro.tv/Eagle-Aspen-Amplifier.aspx both new and used. These are the same amps I tried before.

Thanks Rob

I am not familiar with the PAL20 amplifier, from its description it looks like it comes with a 12V power supply for the amplifier only. What about the 20V power supply for the LNB?

I guess you have the amplifier installed at half the distance because you don't have AC power at the Dish. As I said, to have the full benefit of the amplifier you must have the amplifier with the external 20V power supply installed at the Dish to overcome the DC losses of the coax and amplify the RF signal where the signal to noise ratio is the highest. As far as the small inline amplifiers you have, they are useless if the your signal to noise ratio is already low, adding them will make it even worst.

I am not familiar with the PAL20 amplifier, from its description it looks like it comes with a 12V power supply for the amplifier only. What about the 20V power supply for the LNB?
Not sure what you mean by 20V power supply for LNB. The PAL20 comes with an A/C to D/C converter 120V A/C input 20V D/C output. The PAL20 Is at the midway point because the original profesional installer put it there. There is A/C power at the dish. I had to run a power line for the installer to the half way point. I cant afford to fly them back out here.

Thanks for your patience and help Rob

On the description of the PAL20 it said that it comes with a 12v power supply so it must be a mistake. It needs a 20V power supply, if that is what you have then its fine. If you have AC power at the Dish, all you have to do is splice the the coax with an RG11 female to female connector and simply move the PAL20 amplifier with its power supply next to the Dish. You should be able to do it yourself. That should eliminate the DC loss of the 300' length of the coax and improve the signal to noise ratio at the receiver. If your reception is still marginal and originally it was much better then you may need someone to tweak your Dish.

If all fails and you still have marginal reception (and you are determined, after the above changes) you may try adding another amplifier like the Sonora LA141 at your mid point which is relative cheep. However, there is no guarantee that it will solve your problem. Any time you add an amplifier, not only it amplifies your signal but it also amplifies the existing noise and adding its own noise (unless it is expensive, with a very low Noise Figure. For reference, the PAL20 doesn't specify Noise Figure at all, which means it is not very good and the LA141 spec is 7 dB which is not great either).

I got that, your total length is 650' but your length from the Dish to your amplifier you said is 300'. So, by moving the amplifier to the Dish it will eliminate the DC loss over the 300' of the RG11 up to the Dish. By doing so you completely eliminate the DC loss of the coax and now you have to worry only about the RF loss of 650' of your RG11 and the Noise Figure of the amplifier.