Wireless Router Issues

diu.steve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
I am working on a customer's wireless network. They have DSL service with speeds up to 10 mbps. This is a 802.11g network with 2Wire residential VDSL gateway. I am using Speakeay.net's speedtest as my benchmarking tool. Customer has a laptop with built-in 802.11g wireless and an older Dell desktop computer with USB wireless adapter, both with Windows XP. Both of these computers run at a max of 3.5 mbps per second. We have traced the desktop's problem to the USB to wireless interface, USB 1.1 running at a max of 12mbps in perfect conditions. The laptop is a different story though. XP reports a connection at 54 mbps per second, but still only gets 3.5 mbps. I have tested head to head with both the customer's laptop and my company laptop sitting in front of the residential gateway. My company laptop runs at about 9.5 mbps per second. We have tested all computers, mine and theirs, wired with ethernet directly to the gateway and all receive 9.5 mbps. We have disabled all 3rd party internet security software. We have also tried changing the wireless channel to rule out interference.

Is there a setting somewhere in Windows that is holding the customer's system from getting what they should?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)