Wireless Transmission of TV signal in Home?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
Maybe I am crazy to think that this is even possible, but I just thought I'd ask the helpful people on this sight for a litte help...Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer...

My girlfriend bought me a 17 inch flat panel TV for my birthday...Ive always said that id love one in bathroom...and seriously...how many guys wouldn't love this???

What id really like is for the this TV to mirror the signal in the bedroom(a standard RCA receiver). The bathroom is maybe 300 feet away but because of the way the unit is shaped it would be hard to do a run of the cable into my bathroom.

So...my question is...is their something that I could buy that would beam the signal to this TV??? How could I accomplish this???

Again...thanks

I am hearing some buzzing that DirecTV is working on a new receiver which will output to televisions in the house wirelessly. :)

More as I know it. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am hearing some buzzing that DirecTV is working on a new receiver which will output to televisions in the house wirelessly. :)

More as I know it. :D

Really, I wonder if that means they are getting more Ucentric or will finally have some Moxi. I know the refs are horrible but both are better than TiVo, on paper anyway.

slacker9876 said:
Really, I wonder if that means they are getting more Ucentric or will finally have some Moxi. I know the refs are horrible but both are better than TiVo, on paper anyway.

I am very skeptical of anything being called "better than TiVo." I have had a whirlwind year trying every possible HD path out there except Dish. I've used Scientific Atlanta's 8000HD, which was supposed to be a TiVo-killer. Quite honestly, I was embarassed for its developers.

This whole-house concept sounds so wonderful, but that's a just a feature. HMO has some of the same advantages and has been in a shipping product for quite some time.

This is the problem with a lot of the new DVRs: in order to be better than TiVo you have to be able to do everything it does. The bottom line is that TiVo is much more mature and has a better search mechanism. This really shows in how it deals with season passes, wishlists and their respective priorities. Scientific Atlanta, by the way, made you cancel an entire season pass just to override one scheduled showing. This kind of basic functionality has already been solved in TiVo's software. Likewise, with the SA box you had to know when the program would be on in order to record it: no searching by name, category, etc. A DVR is only as good as the content you record on it. If it is too difficult to setup the recordings, you can watch nothing from whichever room you want. That being said, TiVo is not perfect by any means. Their lack of HMO for DTiVos and HDTiVos is ridiculous.

I'd love for these two outfits to come out with a direct competitor to the HDTiVo. It would benefit every DVR customer, driving price down and features up. But with the current state of DirecTV and their agreement with TiVo, I doubt that.

And before anyone accuses me of being biased, let me explain my position. I have never received a dime from TiVo, not even a referral prize, etc. But I am biased in wanting the best platform to keep going.

Rat Shack Trans/Rcvr

We use a Radio Shack wireless trans/rcvr for our TV in the gazebo. I don't know if it will reach 300 ft but it does a good job over 25ft. It also has a feature so you can use your DirecTV remote in the remote location. We move it inside during the Winter and the signal goes thru walls and works equally well. It costs about $100 but no wires to run.

300 feet away That's a long way to go take a bathroom break!! You must live in a mansion!!

The only wireless solutions usually don't cover more than 100ft and they struggle to do that effectively.
Can you run a cable part of the way, and then try one of the wireless transmit/receiver
pairs. Good luck.

you have the best GF on the planet.

My dream home has a TV in the floor, right in front of the toilet....

Im a moron...it should have read "30 feet"!!! Im sorry for the confusion!!! Will the transmitter work well at 30 feet?

I wonder if the solution to be used would be through the electrical lines. I already know about the solution through the phone line using LeapFrog.

If you use such a device such as the Leap Frog keep in mind it only has composite and RF inputs. And it has a problem with other 2.4ghz devices in your home.
30 feet is a workable distance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.