Wireless TV Connections Yet?

wproie

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I haven't kept up to date with the new technology lately so please bear with me.

I have 2 dish 722k receivers each connected to separate television sets but have 2 other television sets that only receive Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.

I would like for these other television sets to be able to receive dish satellite programming. However, running cable to these locations is out of the question. I would also like to stop paying for two 722k DVRs. Note that both of the 722Ks have their own satellite dish, they are not connected to each other. These locations receive my home WiFi signals with no problems. Is it yet possible to connect television sets to a dish receiver using WiFi? Like I already can with any internet based service?

I read about wireless Joeys. Can they provide this ability? They couldn't when I tried to update about two years ago. If not, can Direct TV do this?

For the last several years I have found it mildly annoying when I hear "TV Anywhere." I think "Everywhere except for on my TV." I don't want TV on my computer, Ipad, Iphone, or Android device. I don't want it in my hotel room. I just want it on my TV in my bedroom and I can't do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Technically, if you have only two 722ks, you're only paying for one. The primary receiver on any account is no cost.

Also technically, the wireless Joey is the only one that can run wireless to your secondary TV sets. There are ways with the 722k but it will confuse both of us if Iattempt to explain.

Why can't you run cable?

I have a house with no cable to the second story so I ended up using a wireless HD transmitter and then swapped that out with a Wireless Joey. It works perfect for me but the Hopper system can be costly. If you want four TVs to be connected I would suggest a Hopper with Sling, Super Joey and Wireless Access Point with two Wireless Joeys. This would give you HD on all four TVs and a total of 5 tuners along with DVR features and access to recordings on all TVs. Monthly cost would be $12 for DVR fee, $10 for Super Joey and $7 for each Wireless Joey for a total of $36 a month on top of your programming. Don't forget that the Wireless Joeys require you to purchase the Wireless Access Point for $50 too.

Reactions: ChadT41
So let me see if I understand this by making the simplest change. Assume I have one 722k in my living room and also I want satellite in a single upstairs bedroom. I could replace the 722k with a hopper with sling, and then I would need a wireless joey and a Wireless Access Point upstairs. Correct?

I have wireless access points in my home. I'm assuming this is not the same thing but some special device?

I am already considering turning in the other 722k because it's in a pool/bar room where Netflix or mlb.tv is always the choice.

As far as to running cable. I'm sure I could, and already have, but it looks like crap and it now terminates in a place where nobody wants a television set. Honestly, I'm closer to giving up satellite/cable completely than I am to running any more cables. Paying over $150/month for a service that is no longer the primary household programming provider is making me consider options.

You're paying over $150 for just two 722k receivers? I take it you're subscribing to the Everything pack? You could easily make some adjustments to your account and get your bill down closer to $99.

Or use a Slingbox to watch Slinged content on your Roku, with no monthly charge. You will need a smart phone and access to its network to initiate the process, but after that the Slingbox will drop its connection to the cell phone network (no longer using your precious data allowance) and stream directly to the Roku if on your LAN or if not, via home internet. You still need the smart phone because it becomes your remote control for viewing on the Roku.

If interested, please go to the Sling Media website for details like compatible Roku's, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)