Wiring Connections

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

/dev/null

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am new to satellite and am not an installer. 10 months ago we started service with Dish Network and had an installer come out for the install. We have a VIP 622 and 522 receivers; I have no clue what dish (only 1) is installed much less anything about switches as thus far as I have read here. We have a structured wiring panel inside the house, and there are two RG6 leads that come into the house from when it was built - the dish outside is hooked up to those two cables. From there those cables enter my structured wiring panel - as do the phone lines from the outside; as you would expect, all RG6 cables that go to outlet in the house also stem from the structured wiring panel.

Currently, the 522 receiver is in room #3 and has no TV on the TV1 input - there is a TV in room #2 that is being fed by the receiver via the in-home cabling system as TV2. What I want to do is move the receiver into room #2, hook the TV in that room to the receiver as TV1 and hook up another TV in room #3 as TV2 - again, via the in-home cabling system. With regard to the structured wiring panel, room #3 is hooked up to the SAT pole of a diplexer (40 - 2300 MHz, PVDP3) and room #2 is hooked up to the U/V ANT of the same diplexer. This is the known working state for the past 10 months.

So, I went and switched the two cables in the structured wiring panel that go to room #2 and room #3 (room #2 to SAT pole of diplexer and room #3 to U/V ANT of same diplexer). This DID NOT work as I expected. I get absolute no satellite signal whatsoever. I went into Point Dish, no signal; tried switching between satellites 110 and 119 and running through the course of all transponders. I also ran the Check Switch on that screen, and, it never finishes in this configuration (but, it does in the original, of course). Note that this was the only thing that I changed - I did not change any of the cable arrangements on the back of the receiver (in which case, there is a diplexer [40 - 2300 MHz, PVDP3] and a separator [950 - 2150 MHz, Dish Network]).

Meanwhile, I noticed in another post, box h of the System Info screen shows DPP Twin, Twin(1), Twin(2), Dual(3). I hope that means something to someone.

Please help, I have no clue what do.

You have a dish 1000 with a DPP Twin and a DP Dual. The DPP twin is for 119 and 110 and the DP dual for 129.

As for the configuration you currently have, one line feeds the 622 and the other one the 522. This is what you need to do at the structured wiring panel:

The diplexer has the satellite input from the dish and the TV2 output going to room #2.

Satellite feed ==
TV2 (going to room #3) == cable going to room #2

you need to change it to:

Satellite feed ==
TV2 (going to room #2) == cable going to room #3

At the receiver in room #2 you have:

cable coming from wiring panel == Satellite input (receiver)
== TV2 output

move the receiver, diplexer and jumper cables to Room #3 and connect the same way.

Randall,

I'm a little confused by your reply (and many thanks for the quick reply!). If I understand you correctly, I have already done this at the wiring panel. But, there is a very good chance that I misunderstood your notation.

For clarity, this is my current setup at the panel:
Satellite Feed -> Diplexer -> [SAT -> room #3 | U/V ANT -> room #2]
And my current setup at the receiver (in room #3):
Outlet -> Diplexer -> [UHF ANT -> TV2 / SAT -> Separator -> [Sat 1 -> 522 Sat 1 / Sat 2 -> 522 Sat 2] ]

Don't blame you for being confused. See if the pictures help you now.

Attachments

• Diplexers and Dish 1000 Current.jpg
    Diplexers and Dish 1000 Current.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Diplexers and Dish 1000 New setup.jpg
    Diplexers and Dish 1000 New setup.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 198
Yes, it is clear now. And, ironically, it is exactly what I did in the structured wiring panel with regards to the diplexer I found there. However, the diagrams you kindly included (and thank you!), do not indicate a separator being used hanging off of the 522 receiver.

In my current setup, both the 522 and 622 have a diplexer and a separator. I must admit, I do not understand the differences between these two. Additionally, in the structured wiring panel, the cabling related to the 622 not only has a diplexer but also has a separator as well. Any clues on that?

Is the separator necessary at all at both receivers? That is, for each receiver, the SAT pole of the diplexer (which is fed from the cable from the wiring panel - e.g., from the coax outlet in the room) is hooked into a separator and the two remaining poles of each separator respectively hook into the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs of the receivers.

Yes, it is clear now. And, ironically, it is exactly what I did in the structured wiring panel with regards to the diplexer I found there. However, the diagrams you kindly included (and thank you!), do not indicate a separator being used hanging off of the 522 receiver.

In my current setup, both the 522 and 622 have a diplexer and a separator. I must admit, I do not understand the differences between these two. Additionally, in the structured wiring panel, the cabling related to the 622 not only has a diplexer but also has a separator as well. Any clues on that?

Is the separator necessary at all at both receivers? That is, for each receiver, the SAT pole of the diplexer (which is fed from the cable from the wiring panel - e.g., from the coax outlet in the room) is hooked into a separator and the two remaining poles of each separator respectively hook into the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs of the receivers.
if there is a separator in the wiring panel then ther are two lines going to the 622 and yes the separators are necessary when you have DPP equipment like you do

if there is a separator in the wiring panel then ther are two lines going to the 622 and yes the separators are necessary when you have DPP equipment like you do

You must use the separator. Just take the output of the diplexer labeled satellite and feed the separator. From the separator, take the 2 cable jumpers and connect to Sat1 and Sat2 in the receiver.

I included the separators in this picture.

Attachments

• Diplexers and Dish 1000 New setup.jpg
    Diplexers and Dish 1000 New setup.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 172

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts