wiring house for satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freshley

Original poster
May 27, 2009
lebanon, pa
I used to have DirecTV for 10 years before switching to Dish and I'm thinking of coming back to see if the receivers have improved. I had a tivo receiver that I loved but it wasn't HD and I hated the DirecTV versions so went with Dish. Anyhow, I'm looking to re-wire my whole house for sat. and I'm trying to find out how many wires I need to run to each outlet. I know back when I had DirecTV you needed 2 rg6 wires from the dish to the receiver (one for each tuner) but I'm not sure if that is still the case.
I'm currently thinking of running 2 to each outlet downstairs (one for sat and one for internet) and 1 to each bedroom upstairs. If DirecTV still needs 2 for each tuner on the DVR models, I will need to run 3 to each downstairs outlet and possibly 2 to each upstairs. There is a substantial increase in cost between the 2 options.

Thank you.

The newer swm setup only requires one cable per box regardless of the number of tuners, but an additional run is a good idea for back up or ota use.

One RG-6 for satellite, Cat-6 or Cat-5e for networking. I would look at maybe two of each. That way if you also have an OTA antenna, you have a second coaxfor it. As for a second Ethernet, it allows for HDMI over Ethernet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts