Wiring options? 622 721 508

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have a 721, 508 & 301- and a single dish500 and an OTA antenna. I will move to the ViP622 soon and drop the 301. I need to prepare for the installer so that when he gets here all he'll have to do is swap the 500 for a 1000 (or put up a 61.5 and maybe change out an LNB), wire in a switch, plug in the ViP622 & maybe install a separator on the 721. I don’t want to be trying to run more coax when the installer is actually here. I need input as to what wiring changes need to be done.

I believe the quad LNB on the dish500 is a legacy, since it does not say Dish Pro on the back. My original installation was in 1/02. I ran all the coax myself and presented the original installer with 4 RG-6 coax cables to attach to the rooftop dish. From the Quick Facts on the dish1000, I gather that my legacy LNB will likely be replaced and a DP44 used.

Current configuration:

Dish500 Quad LNB
-coax #1 to Master Bedroom 508
-coax #2 to basement 301
-coax #3 to living room 721
-coax #4 to diplexer (below) feeding sat/OTA coax to living room 721

OTA antenna w/internal preamp
(working from antenna “down”)
to power injector
to 2 way splitter (1 nc, never mind it works that way)
one coax from splitter to Channel Master model 3045 8 way distro amp
-3 outputs no connection
-1 output to basement TV
-1 output to guest room VCR & TV (no sat there)
-1 output to office VCR & HTPC (no sat there)
-1 output to master bedroom TV, ATSC STB, VCR/DVD recorder
-1 output to the diplexer that feeds the sat/OTA coax to the living room 721

In the living room, another diplexer splits out the OTA and satellite signals. The OTA output there feeds the HDTV and a VCR.

I intend to discard the 301 (turn in for $299 deal? $25?), move the 508 to the basement and move the 721 to the master bedroom. That leaves the 2 coax in the living room to feed the ViP622. The 721 would only have one sat coax feeding it.

Questions:
-Would a separator work to feed the 721 or should I run another sat coax to the MBR?
-If I run the extra sat coax to the 721, that would total 5 sat output coax- drop 1 to the ViP622 and use a separator there?
-Use a separator on the ViP622 AND the 721?
-May I safely assume that the diplexer will continue to work as is, or could there be a problem with DishPro/DishProPlus?

I’ll run the ViP622 in single mode until the 721 and 508 are useless. I figure I’ve got another 2 or 3 years of use out of them. Then I’ll probably run a “stereo agile” coax to the MBR, and do the cat5 “RCA cable” trick to the basement (or use a transmitter connected to the TV2 outputs). Or by that time there may be a “whole house” DVR option available. Or get a ViP211 or such. No need to wire for that now.

Your assistance is appreciated.

A#1: DP separator will work on 721 ( according to manual)
A#2 if you can run extra cables to all locations, do it
A#3 yes ( call local office to lat them know that you need DPP 44sw)
A#4 we use Holland diplexers and they work fine with DPP stuff

The ONLY!! problem I can forsee is the use of the DPP44 switch. Lately Dish has been pretty tight on their usage. Some of that is due to proper reimbursements the retailer or RSP has to go thru. Other than that, everything Volkodav stated is pretty much counted as gospel.

Thank you for your help- but one clarification, please. If I run another coax to the MBR where the 721 will be, that will give me 5 coax to feed: 2 to 721, 2 to ViP622, 1 to 508. The DP44 supports only 4? Hang another switch off the DP44 to support 5?

There seem to be limitations on using the DP34, per the Quick Facts and other sources. Would Dish try to get a DP34 used instead of a DP44?

I was under the impression that there were certain configurations & equipment that the separator/721 was not compatible with. I gather I was mistaken.

What if a 61.5 dish is added in place of the dish1000? It would seem that would complicate the switching. Would that force the use of a separator on both the 721 and the ViP622, or cascaded switches?

Do cascaded switches respond slower?

if tech uses DPP 44sw. then you have 508 line #1 721 line #2 &3 and 622 line #4 with dp separator. if he uses Dp 34sw then he can add dp 34sw right at the 34 sw where it says out to another sw.

721 with DP Separator

You CAN use a DP Separator with a 721.

I have a DPP44 switch, with line 1 to 721 with DP Separator, line 2 to 942 with DP Separator, line 3 to DishPlayer, and line 4 to 311.

So I can expect a changeout of my DISH500 with a quad legacy LNB, replaced by a DISH1000 with DPP LNBs and (probably) a DPP44 switch. Two of the lines will go to the ViP622, as the lines are already installed to that location. One of these lines will share an OTA signal via diplexers. Another line from the switch will go to the 508, and the remaining one to the 721 using a separator. Basically, I'm ready- there are no wiring changes I need make.

Now it's a matter of waiting until my installer gets a shipment, whenever that may be.

Thanks to all who helped out me and the others reading this thread.

Navychop: There WAS a problem with the 721/DPP-Twin/DPP Separator, but it's fixed.

BIG KUDOS TO YOU FOR YOUR OPENING POST!

If only EVERYONE posted like that our "jobs" would be a LOT easier!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)