Wiring question about 722 (k)

ecarl4100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Tennessee
I'm wiring my dads new home, and I'm to the point of running some RG-6QS from where the dish will be mounted to where the reciever will be. Will a single run of RG-6QS to the wall plate where the 722 will be be acceptable? From what I can gather online, a single run to the wallplate is ok. Is there one input fot the 722 sat in or two? Can a splitter be used if there's two. I really don't want to run two coax lines from the dish to the living room.This is my first experience with anything other than a simple Dish500 system install. Any help is appreciated. FYI, I'll be using a dish 1000.4 (eastern arc) here.

ecarl, To specifically answer your question... Yes, one RG-6 coax run from the switch/dish location will be all that is needed to support your ViP-722 receiver. The one coax run will terminate to a separator that you will install before the Sat1 & Sat2 ports at the rear of the 722 receiver.

I'm wiring my dads new home, and I'm to the point of running some RG-6QS from where the dish will be mounted to where the reciever will be. Will a single run of RG-6QS to the wall plate where the 722 will be be acceptable? From what I can gather online, a single run to the wallplate is ok. Is there one input fot the 722 sat in or two? Can a splitter be used if there's two. I really don't want to run two coax lines from the dish to the living room.This is my first experience with anything other than a simple Dish500 system install. Any help is appreciated. FYI, I'll be using a dish 1000.4 (eastern arc) here.

Dish 1000.4, you'll take one line to the rcvr, then you just need this guy to run the two lines into your 722k

DISH Network Dish Pro Plus DPP Separator (ES148534) | 123254 [DISH Network]

If you have OTA, the you can use diplexors to bring the OTA signal into the one line, then diplex out at the rcvr into the seperator. Then two into the 722k.

Elway has to be in his cups.....:confused:

Sorry, was trying to get back to football too fast.

One line from dish to jack at 722. One line out of jack to a separator, then two lines into the rcvr. The separator is the splitter, and yes there is two inputs on the DVR.

If you have an OTA feed, you can use two diplexors to bring that OTA antenna feed into the single line from the dish (I diplexed my antenna feed into the single dish line in the attic). You continue the single line from the diplexer to the jack at the DVR. The single line coming out of the jack would first go into the second diplexer( breaking the line into two feeds; one for the antenna input on the 722 and the second to the separator). You then run two short lines out of the separator to the two sat inputs on this DVR.

I did multiple coax drops when I rewired my house. I did 3 homeruns to each tv outlet back to my wiring closet. I use 1 for sat, 1 for OTA, and 1 for Backfeed. Sure, you can do it all with diplexers, but it is just one more point of possible failure in the future. If you are running cable anyway, I personally believe you should drop at least 2. Use one for satellite and the other for OTA/Backfeed.

My suggestion would be (2) RG6, (1) CAT6 and (1) Cat5e for Telephone.

I would do the (2) RG6 so you can do back feeds on the 722, in addition if your father ever wants to get cable, or Directv in addition to DISH Network it can easily be added.

Always run a minimum of 2 cables these days!

If you're wiring a new house, my suggestion would be 2 RG6QS and 2 Cat5e (or a Cat6 and a cat5e). If you REALLY want to do it right, run smurf pipe to each low voltage box. That way if you need to add a cable you can just push it through the smurf. You can put 2 RG6QS and 2 cat5 into a single gang low voltage frame with no difficulty. My suggestion, however, would be to put an extra gang wherever you can manage it. If you are only using a single gang now, then install a double and blank one side (or spread your wires out between the 2)

New house? Smurf, smurf, smurf. Wherever you can put it. Make your life easier later because you WILL want to run more wires or change some out at some point. This is your opportunity to do it right.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)