wiring question

mlb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Kettering, Ohio
I have a dish 1000 that goes to a 622 and 625. I want to add a 5th tuner (211), so I bought a dp34 switch figuring I already had a dp34 switch with my setup. When I got into my dish I could not find an actual switch, so I'm guessing the LNBs have it built in. Is there a way for me to add this switch into the current setup and get the 8 tuner outputs or do I need to do something else? Do I need 2 dp34 switches?

Thanks!

I have a dish 1000 that goes to a 622 and 625. I want to add a 5th tuner (211), so I bought a dp34 switch figuring I already had a dp34 switch with my setup. When I got into my dish I could not find an actual switch, so I'm guessing the LNBs have it built in. Is there a way for me to add this switch into the current setup and get the 8 tuner outputs or do I need to do something else? Do I need 2 dp34 switches?

Thanks!

Your current setup on the D1000 is, more than likely, a DPP Twin/DP dual combo that allows 1 cable to feed each individual dual tuner. And yes, as you've surmised you'll either need (2) DP34 switches (since DP LNBs/switches will not allow one wire to feed a dual tuner) or....if your finances are willing, a DPP44 switch. The latter switch will allow you to keep your current wiring situation that is going to your receivers. The only "problem" is that you'll have to have 3 feeds (110, 119, and 129) from your dish to your DPP44.

I already bought a DP34 switch because I assumed I had one in my current setup (that is what I get for assuming)... so I'd rather just get a 2nd dp34 switch.

The DPP Twin has 3 coax connections, and the DP dual combo has 2, which of those combo's should I run the coax out of and into the dp34 switch?

My current plan is to run all my rg6 back to a central location (my basement), and to run the satellite input feeds to the same position. Currently my setup combines the satellite inputs for the receiver into 1 rg6 coax then splits them back out just before running into the receiver. Would I need to run a single coax run for each tuner with the dp34 switch?

You can't use DPP separators with the DP34. So if you had a couple of DP34s you would need 2 lines going to each dual tuner box and 1 line going to each single tuner box. The alternative is to add a DPP44 switch instead so that you can still use the Separators.

Each satellite must be fed separately into the switch. 119 side of the Twin to input 1, 110 side to input 2, either output of the Dual to input 3 (instead of to the DPP Twin). Beware there are compatibility issues with the DPP Twin and DP34. It may work, but if you have trouble with the setup, replace the DPP Twin with a DP Twin.

on the DPP twin, you will use the 2 ports that are together, the single port is an input. Like Bobabird said, if you have issues getting it to work, you may need to replace the DPP Twin with a DP Twin. There is occasionally issues with the DPP Twin and Dp34 working together.
Personally i'd go with a DPP44 so you dont have to redo the seperator/backfeeding setup that is already in place.

There are different ways of getting more than four outputs from a DP-34 switch. One is to get a DP-21 switch that is cheaper and connect two of the cascading (right side) connections up to it (you lose one satellite this way) but you might as well get a DP-34 switch than to do that.

The cheapest, fastest, and easiest way is to just hook a coax wire up to one of the outputs on the cascading (right side) of the satellite that you want which would most likely be the 119 satellite. You would lose the other two satellites going this route on the receiver that you use as that fifth connection.

Ahhh... I see. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the whole DPP44 setup.

So, let me ask some more dumb questions...

Currently from my dish there are 2 rg6 lines running to the electric grounding block. From there they both run to a splitter/combiner for the main receiver and TV 2.

Where would I place the DPP44 switch in my setup? What lines would run from the LNB's to the DPP44 satellite inputs?

Thanks for all your help!

Some stuff to read

Here are a couple of instructions re: DPP44. See if any of them answers your questions...

All lines coming from the LNBs (3?) to the switch need to be grounded before entering the switch.

As others have stated, in your setup you will need to run separate coaxes from all 3 LNBs (through ground blocks) into the DPP44. Then you can run up to 4 dual-tuner receivers, each one with a single coax from the switch, by using a separator at the receiver to "split" the signals into the 2 sat. inputs. That would be the most efficient way to connect your system, but it will require adding that 3rd down lead from the LNBs. Any of those 4 coaxes from the switch to the receivers could be diplexed if needed to also feed in an OTA antenna signal, or to back feed a TV2 output to another receiver or you whole house RF distribution system. See the 3rd link below for an example of that.

Attachments

• DISH Pro Plus 44 Switch - Quick Facts.pdf
    951 KB · Views: 113
  • DISH_Pro_Plus_44_Switch_Installation_Guide[1].pdf
    767.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DPP44 - Distribution Example9.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 142
MLB, if your 1000 dish had 3 DP duals, adding a second 34 swith trumped to the first would give you the xtra port for your 211. I agree with the others that DPP Plus doesn't work well with the 34 switch. Also as they said, a 44 switch using 1 cable to each receiver a a seperator would also work. Using 3 DP duals and 1 extra 34 switch would be the cheapest way of getting what you want. If you are running a 34 switch with your 2 dual receivers, you should have 2 cables running from the switch to the dual receivers and 1 going out to the TV2 room Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)